2006 iMac migration to 2011 iMac (SL to ML).

norfbech

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

My old iMac finally bit the dust a couple of weeks back (late 2006 white intel 2.1ghz 24" model).
The screen itself had packed up, slowly freezing over the past month or two until it finally became a permanent white/grey screen. Ran a fair few tests on the machine (tried all the s/w tricks to try and resuscitate to no avail) and it appears that everything was ok bar the screen/graphics. I'd actually replaced the hard drive over a year ago (and backed up via external HD using time machine) so Iat least have copies of all my data.
In the meantime I've picked up a second hand 2011 model: 2.7ghz i5, 4GB RAM (will up that to 16gb soon) running Mountain Lion (previously running Snow Leopard). I feel I picked up a good deal on this machine and it runs beautifully.

It's very likely the old iMac has the graphics card/GPU issue so with nothing to lose I'll take the machine apart and try and see if I can fix it (replacement cards look like they're in the region of £250) otherwise I'll sell it on as parts (be nice to have a second machine however).

My computer tech knowledge doesn't run that deep however. I have s/w running on the previous iMac which I need to have running on the new machine pretty quickly (FCP and Logic Pro in the main). I was wondering what the best method for doing this is (bearing in mind an iOS update may not be too kind on those programs?). Looking at migrating the old HD fully over to the new iMac...I believe Mountain Lion makes this task a little easier (I've looked into the process) but wondering if this will affect the old s/w. Might need to upgrade the s/w for those programs (I have original discs etc) but I'd struggle to 'see' them on the old computer to carry that out?

Also looked at the cable - I don't really want to pay £20+ for a thunderbird to firewire cable, but hoping I can migrate (and log into old iMac) via a FW 800 - FW 400 cable?

Hope that makes sense - apologies if I've missed any info!

Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom