1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 - the year of widescreen camcorders?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by cerebros, Mar 14, 2005.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just been looking at Canon's camcorder section of their website and I see that the new low-end 800 series all feature a widescreen mode as standard. Considering that these can be had for about £300 these sound good for those of us who want widescreen but aren't into camcording enough to buy a higher end model. I'd assume other manufacturers will also be bringing widescreen down their ranges.

Having said that, I'm not quite sure how the widescreen mode works, whether it's cropping a 4:3 image or a true 16:9 capture that gets squashed down when recorded.

The reason for this confusion is that the description for the MV830i says
    which makes it sound like it's cropping a 4:3 whereas in the MV800 series overview it says:

This would seem to suggest a 16:9 capture from the chip given that it's supposed to use 540k pixels in 16:9 mode.

Anyone got any ideas on which it actually is?

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    According to the Sony site more lines are added in the recording stage to give true widescreen recording. I have a Sony DCR-HC18E, it does the widescreen recording. The picture on the view finder goes to a widescreen picture with black bars top and bottom and the lens is supposed to go wider. The Sony website had a good description of it.

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    That's OK for Sony's models, but I was wondering what Canon's do, as in the past other manufacturers have simply cropped a 4:3 image, from what I understand.

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    cerebros

Have seen these?

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

Yeah, saw them the next day after the original post, plus the HC39E & HC42E on one of the linking pages, although I think Sony were already well served for 16:9 capable cameras in the mid-range and up anyway, unlike Canon.

I'd be interested if anyone can make an informed opinion on whether the move to CMOS technology in the Sony DCR-PC1000E is going to make as big a difference to picture quality as claimed.