2001: A Space Odyssey

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Koosnaff, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I received my R2 Box Set yesterday and just had the chance to watch it. £33.99 from PLAY247 - was it worth it ?

There are no documentries, no special features (apart from the cinema trailer); Basically direct scene access and thats about it. BUT, in the box is a CD of the music score, a very nice booklet with info about the film and how it was remastered/transfered, and also a 70mm cell from the film (which is very nice if you hold it up to the light).

Hmmm, does that justify the price? Well, its ok I spose, but then I sat down and watched the movie. Be warned, the movie contains the original intro (black backround and about 2-3 minutes of sound/music) before you get a picture which is very dramatic. I actually felt that this was a clever tension-builing technique...
    Also, about midway thru the film is the original theatrical Intermission - again, fade to black for about 2-3 minutes and music/sound (just long enough to have a wee and grab a can of fizzy.

Simply put, this film puts others to shame. The picture quality is absolutely outstanding ! There is so much vibrancy and clarity that its almost impossible to believe that the film was made in 1968...
    The transfer is amoung the best I have ever seen and that's obviously why it took a while to be released. They wanted to do the film justice and boy they sure have...

And lets not forget about the sound ! It certainly shows that not all 'old' films have to be watched in mono/pro logic.
    The 5.1 in this film is excellent, and the music scenes are very dramatic...

There are many 'space' films, but this one is the yardstick which all others should be measured by with regards to realism.
    I'm sure many of you have seen the film before, so there is no need to talk about plot etc, but the scenes inside the ships where people seem to really defy gravity are very impressive. Even tho whe know how it was done now, it is still amazing to watch and in my opinion has never been equalled.

I think that my long wait for this film, and the price are well justified.

A real piece of cinematic history given the up-to-date treatment, which deserves a place in everyones collection.

Show your mates this one on your home cinema system, and they will go out and buy their own system I'm sure of it...

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I've just seen the film for sale in my local Sainsbury's for £34-99 (!!!!) and was surprised to see that the box is not much bigger than a standard Amaray DVD case.

From the magazine adverts I've seen, I was expecting the box to be a grey-coloured version of the Warner Special Edition Box Sets like they did with "The Matrix", "The Exorcist", "Blade Runner", "Bullit", and "Casablanca". Oh well! I'm off to buy it!

Pooch