2001 : A Space Odyssey

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dorian, May 23, 2001.

1. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well I was all set to buy this on Monday (the R2 Metrodome release due on May 28th) even if it is gonna cost me £40. It's remastered and anamorphic, with a 5.1 soundtrack.

But news of the new R1 version from Warner due in August is emerging on the US sites - The Digital Bits has a review and says the picture quality is awesome. This version is also remastered and 16x9 enhanced.

Anyone got any definitive information on which transfer is going to be the best ? I've gotta get this film !! But I'm not paying £40 if the $18 version is going to be better !

Cheers,

Domino

2. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the £40 version you refer to that is supposedly out on monday (have seen sites saying that it is not due out till later in the year on region 2 - bizarre) comes as part of the box set that also has the soundtrack, booklet and film cell. dont know if the region 1 will be made available in this format. as far as i can see, the transfers will be identical - just depends on whether you want to pay extra for the goodies in the box set.
    dont you find that specific disc details are made available for region 1 discs months in advance but region 2 discs are shrouded in mystery until release? take close encounters.....for months we've known that the region 1 version will have a dts soundtrack. i still dont know if the region 2 version will. pain in the backside aint it?
    sorry - rant over. :confused:

3. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the prices of the R2 (not yet released ) and region 1 versions at play247.com - much better than £40 ...

4. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If anyone's interested, 2001 has now been delayed until the 11th June.

Thanks Koosnaff, but at the time I wanted to get from the shop and not wait for delivery.

Domino

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Well,

What a surprise?! A Region 2 DVD that has been delayed, and put back for about 14 days!

Cor, I'd never have expected that to happen, in a million years! :D :D :D

Pooch