2001: A Space Odyssey (Titans of Cult #5) (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

Just reading up on the disc contents. It would seem that the Bonus disc is just all the same extras from the Blu-Ray feature disc but without the movie. What is the point in including both?

Just reading up on the disc contents. It would seem that the Bonus disc is just all the same extras from the Blu-Ray feature disc but without the movie. What is the point in including both?
I'm pretty the the one 1080p disc is the feature film only and the 2nd is a special features only disc. That's fairly typical for WB releases if I'm honest.

Grabbed a copy from amazon for £25 as well, couldn't help myself. Not jaw dropping amazing, but quite a nicely presented package all round.

Probably the best designed ToC steelbook all round so far as well (even though i do love the BR one), I was shocked to see actual rear and inside art o_O :smashin:

That would make sense. A few of the online reviews list the disc contents with a doubling of the extras; e.g. this UK one:

• DISC ONE (Blu-ray 4K)
    * The Film (2160p)
    Audio Commentary with actors Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood

DISC TWO (Blu-ray)
    * The Film (1080p)
    Audio Commentary with actors Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood

DISC THREE (Blu-ray)
    "2001: The Making of a Myth" documentary (43:08)
    "Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001" featurette (21:25)
    "Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001" featurette (21:31)
    "A Look Behind the Future" featurette (23:11)
    "What is Out There?" featurette (20:42)
    "FX and Early Conceptual Artwork" featurette (9:33)
    "Look: Stanley Kubrick!" photo slideshow (3:15)
    Audio interview with director Stanley Kubrick by Jeremy Bernstein (76:31)
    Theatrical Trailer (1:51)

Ordered from Amazon thanks to @anlygi
Not had the best of luck with Amazon and steelbooks. My recent Jaws one was delivered by Royal Mail and had a dent due to poor packaging, the £5 they gave me back is going towards this one. Opted for delivery to a locker this time which should mean it spends less time in transit so less chance of damage. Fingers crossed.

Ordered from Amazon thanks to @anlygi
Not had the best of luck with Amazon and steelbooks. My recent Jaws one was delivered by Royal Mail and had a dent due to poor packaging, the £5 they gave me back is going towards this one. Opted for delivery to a locker this time which should mean it spends less time in transit so less chance of damage. Fingers crossed.

Should be fine with this, I got my Blade Runner from Amazon and it arrived in a box with paper padding. Hopefully the same again.

Thankfully my Jaws arrived with no transit damage, but did have a small manufacturing scratch on the front.

Did they cut and paste him into a different tunnel? Bit of a weird thing to do.

2001tunnel.jpg

Did they cut and paste him into a different tunnel? Bit of a weird thing to do.

View attachment 1326876
Yeah that's pretty much exactly what they've done. They've taken the silhouette of Dave from the iconic image of him in the tunnel ready to leave the ship and pasted it into the emergency entry tunnel when he's trying to get back in later on.

Similarly can be said for the rear of the steel, where they've taken the other end of the emergency entry tunnel and pasted the door to the exploration pod in the end instead of the plain black door which goes back into the main ship...

I kind of get why they've done that tbh. They wanted to use the iconic image on the front, but they also wanted to colour match with the red and black of the rest of package. I'm watching it now actually, so I've included some screen shots below :)

20200702_133354.jpg
20200702_133334.jpg
20200702_133847.jpg

I kind of get why they've done that tbh. They wanted to use the iconic image on the front, but they also wanted to colour match with the red and black of the rest of package.
They could have colourised the original shot if they wanted it red. You can probably tell I spent all of 2 minutes this.

2001tunnel_red.jpg

They could have colourised the original shot if they wanted it red. You can probably tell I spent all of 2 minutes this.

View attachment 1327811
Indeed they could have, but i suppose it might not have had the desired symmetry with the rear image then. Editing was going to play a part in the image either way i guess.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what they've done. They've taken the silhouette of Dave from the iconic image of him in the tunnel ready to leave the ship and pasted it into the emergency entry tunnel when he's trying to get back in later on.

Similarly can be said for the rear of the steel, where they've taken the other end of the emergency entry tunnel and pasted the door to the exploration pod in the end instead of the plain black door which goes back into the main ship...

I kind of get why they've done that tbh. They wanted to use the iconic image on the front, but they also wanted to colour match with the red and black of the rest of package. I'm watching it now actually, so I've included some screen shots below :)

View attachment 1327729View attachment 1327730View attachment 1327731

I had totally forgot about that tunnel, and I last watched not more then 3 months ago. I was thinking they'd made something up! :blush:

Looks like this one has been delayed. I thought it was Amazon again, but Zavvi and HMV are also showing 31st August now.

Mine arrived today, sorry it’s not a better picture.

Attachments

• 09C31868-DCC9-4DC9-9412-DF823E3AF1EE.jpeg
    09C31868-DCC9-4DC9-9412-DF823E3AF1EE.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 106
Had to pick mine up from a locker and just got back. Annoyingly this appears to have a manufacturing defect. There's a few of what I can only describe as tiny bubbles dotted around both front and back. Can be seen when held to the light and are easily felt when sliding my finger over them. Has anyone else got the same issue?
For once the packaging from Amazon was good

Had to pick mine up from a locker and just got back. Annoyingly this appears to have a manufacturing defect. There's a few of what I can only describe as tiny bubbles dotted around both front and back. Can be seen when held to the light and are easily felt when sliding my finger over them. Has anyone else got the same issue?
For once the packaging from Amazon was good
I have those same bubbles on mine.

Same here

I got mine from Amazon, where did you get yours? Same question for @494930 Just trying to work out if this is another ESB that affects almost all of them or just a small batch. I haven't contacted Amazon yet.
Mine was from Zavvi

Not easy to get a photo of the issue but there are around 6 on the front and 3 on the back. See the dot on the black rectangle to the right of his foot. The way the light has caught it make it look white but this is a paint bubble and is black when looked at square on.
1598880427550.png

Scanavo quality control is really slipping. They need to concentrate on getting the steelbooks right, rather adding extra “collectible“ tat.

Mine is out for delivery from Amazon, I'll have a close inspection when it comes. I really hope it's ok. Having gone many years without an issue, I had to complain about 2 deliveries last month that resulted in getting £30 promotional credit. I would worry a third complaint in almost as many weeks, even if genuine, would set some sort of flag on my account! The other two were Amazon at fault though rather than a manufacturing problem.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom