1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001:A Space Odyssey interlude/EVA

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by huwg, Oct 18, 2005.

1. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    This has bugged me for a while...

On the 2001 disc, there is an 'interlude' (black screen + music for a few mins :boring: ). The scene after this is the EVA to examine/replace the antennea unit.
    As this scene starts, you can hear the EVA (breathing sounds), but the screen remains black as per the interlude. This lasts for about a minute, then the picture kicks in.

Is this part of the original film, or is my pressing a bit poor? :confused:

I watched the film last time C4 showed it, and they jumped straight to the point where my picture cuts in (obviously missing out the interlude). This would indicate that my version is the full cinematic experience.

Having not seen it at the cinema to confirm this, can anyone shed any light on this?

2. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    # Originally intended as a road show release, with Overture, Intermission, and Exit music (all with curtain warmers) and a 35mm b/w prolog of interview with experts on the possibilities of extra terrestrial life.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/trivia

The intermission is as it was intended, I believe.

3. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    thanks,
    the chapters in question are :-
    20. Intermission
    21. Cut Adrift

It is the first few minutes of 21 that annoy me, I can't help thinking "I'm missing the film". But in reality, it is extra footage to the version usually broadcast on TV.