2000 Mk4 Golf - how to open boot?!

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Beobloke, Feb 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    And before anyone says 'pull the handle'........:D

The boot on my wife's 2000 Golf has recently stopped responding to the central locking, and won't unlock. The keyhole appears to be full of nine years' worth of traffic grime general crud and, despite my attempts to clean and lubricate suitably, the key won't even go in all the way, let alone turn to open it!

Now, I am confident I can repair/replace the locking mechanism but I can't think of any tricks to get the damn boot open in the first place! Any ideas, please, anyone?

:(

2. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    Is there not an emergency release level in the boot, with access by folding the rear seats down? Check your user manual.

3. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    If that fails, have you tried literally flooding it with WD40 or similar? Under pressure from the can it should loosen the crud and rise it away?

4. V70SES

V70SES
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Heat the key up gently with a hairdryer till warm , place in to the keyslot , should melt the crud away & allow it to go in fully :thumbsup:

5. abdus

abdus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    from inside the car, maybe. drop the back seats and try to unlock from inside...

6. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    is there a boot release in the driver footwell? there is in alot of cars. i take it her keyfob wont do it either?

also most cars with central locking unlock the boot with a couple of presses

7. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    If the lock won't open then it's either siezed or there is a loose electrical connection to it or wirring issue, get the seats down and get the get the door card off the tailgate and use a multimeter if you can access the connection to see if power is actually going to it.

I assume actually using the key to unlock the doors makes no difference than just hitting the fob?

Liam

8. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612

As for the gunk in the barrel. CLEAN IT OUT with a cloth apply wd40 wait a min clean it out.

Your problem is lies in the motor which is inside the lock mech. The cogs teeth have worn down a little and is a: spinning or b: failed.To Fix or open your boot its actually quite simple and takes a few mins to do.

Ask you wife to practise open doors close door open doors close doors.Once she is in sync with you tap yes like you would knock with your hand but use your palm of your hand and tap JUST ABOVE THE TALGATE LOCK keep tapping 3 taps per second tap-tap-tap- and ask your wife to open-shut-open shut VIA THE REMOTE this WILL OPEN YOUR BOOT. It may take at least 30 seconds but will open your boot.
    NEXT STAGE

Once you open your boot you have 2 issues
    If you close your boot you will have the same problem
    If you leave it open it will get cold quickly.

To replace the motor it will cost around £11 + vat from stealers to install it takes around 20 mins.

Remove boot trim with 8mm hex screwdriver.

Once you can see the "inside" of you trim look for the lever to your boot handle unclip it. Remove motor it takes round 10 mins to do replace with the new one and put everything back. I know the new motor will sound funny it sounds like "slurp" but the new ones are alot better.
    Count yourself lucky mate they are not the latest microswitch ones. They are expensive and ****.

If you simply want to open the boot. You will have to remove rear trim off boot lid and pull the long lever with threads ( its a long pipe looking thing to your right) .

Any further assistance message me.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED...

1X ASSISTANT
    1X CENTERAL LOCKING REMOTE.

FIRST LOCATE CENTERAL LOCKING MOTOR

9. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks for the advice all, especially Ayub for that seriously intricate description. :smashin:

I shall print his thread off, arm myself with my toolkit and dive in at the weekend.

10. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    I luv ma vdub and my vdub luvs me :smashin:

11. Woolyfrog

Woolyfrog
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I just had this problem too. Managed to get the door card off from inside (snapped a few clips in the process) but managed to open the boot. The motor is working fine, it turns out the small plastic part that attaches the motor to the back of the barrel has snapped. Until I get round to replacing it I simply disconnected to motor electrical supply and left the boot unlocked. Just got to make sure I put the alarm on whenever I leave the car now cos it won't lock.