2000 Ford Focus Fog lights stopped working

chedmaster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was driving along earlier and it was wet so put on the fog lamps (just the front) and realised the indicator to show they are on wasn't lit, the fog lights weren't on and the rear one isn't working either?

Checked the fuse (which does both front and rear but nothing else) and it was fine, also checked the "lighting switch" fuse and that one was fine.

Any ideas?

Its a 2000 Focus Zetec 1.8

Thanks

First of all, fog lights are only meant to be used when it's foggy (and when visibilty is less than 100 metres, not if it's a bit misty), the clue is in the name :rolleyes: Using them in the wet only serves to cause reflections off the road surface, dazzling and irritating other drivers.

As for fixing them, did you have the main lights on before trying to switch the fogs on?

Yes you can only pull the switch out when the headlights or sidelights are on (its all on the same switch) and no combination of fog/head lights works.

Thanks

I was driving along earlier and it was wet so put on the fog lamps (just the front) and realised the indicator to show they are on wasn't lit, the fog lights weren't on and the rear one isn't working either?

Checked the fuse (which does both front and rear but nothing else) and it was fine, also checked the "lighting switch" fuse and that one was fine.

Any ideas?

Its a 2000 Focus Zetec 1.8

Thanks

There is also a relay which works with the fog lamps. I suggest you listen for the "click" wheny ou turn your lights on. Ensure engine is off before you try this as you wont be able to hear the relay click.

I would replace the fuse with a new one. Just because it looks ok does not mean its not blown or a hairline fracture.

just had another fish around and it turns out i checked the wrong fuse last night :rolleyes: the fuse had gone, but I replaced it and it blew again straight away :rolleyes:

Is it likely to be water around a bulb? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks for the replies.

(PS I did listen for the relay but couldn't really hear)

are you sure you have connected the wires correctly. The fuse will only blow when their is a fault.

Check the cable again running into the lamp make sure you have not damaged it.

I've had my current car for 6 years and have only found the front fog lamps of any practical use about twice - on very dark country roads in very thick fog.
Around town and on lit roads, even in quite dense fog they do next to nothing to improve the visability ahead.

They just seem to be some kind of fashion accessory by people who thinks it's 'cool' to have them switched on all the time!

its both the front and rear fog lamps and without rear fog lamp it will fail the MOT

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom