1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

200+ DVDs to sell...best way to get shot?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Smurfin, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    I have approx 200 DVDs to sell - a mixture of mainly old and a few newer titles, and a combination of both Region 1 and Region 2 titles.

I was just wondering the best way to go about selling them, and if people had any advice?

I don't want to be selling them individually....200 jiffy bags and every Saturday morning down the local post office for the next month isn't my idea of fun, so ideally I want to be selling them as a single bulk sale or in batches of 10 or 20.

What, realistically will I be looking at? Was thinking around an average of £4.50-£5 per disc, which works out at a £900-£1000 return?

And where should I try selling them? The forums seem really slow of late (certainly DVD Classifieds are), and selling seems to be a tough ride now, I've noticed this on DVDF too. As I see it there's the forums, or ebay ( :suicide: ), but I don't know what else there is.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers
    Matt

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +722
    Isn't there a company that advertises in the back of movie magazines that buys movie collections, not got a copy of a mag to hand so i can't remember what they are called but they always have ads in the back of Empire and Total Film

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sold most of my DVDs approx 6 months ago on EBAY & found I got cracking prices for all of them......some even more than new price :smashin:

I think things have calmed down now though. Unfortunately selling in bundles does not get the best prices :(

Best bet is to sell the DVDs you know will get most dosh, seperately & then move to bundles. I used EBAY turbo lister to do it all offline. I think EBAY have avanced things, so you just enter the serial number on back of case & it fills details out for you.

I found having Amazon open for the large picture of DVD......used URL for photo on EBAY add. Then had another window open from PLAY for description, which I cut & pasted into EBAY Ad. Once you get going I found I could place an Ad in less than a minute.

To seduce people into buying bundles, you shoudl always state in your Ad, "Selling nnn DVDs, reduced P&P for multiple buys....see my other Auctions etc......" & then use the mail discount feature.

Good luck :smashin:

Dave

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Thanks Dave, that's great advice:)

5. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds complicated :rolleyes:

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    how much are you looking to get for your old dvd's if sold in 10's or more. Would you allow people to pick 10 themselves?

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Reusing descriptions and pictures from amazon/play can put people off, I know I always check to make sure that its not somebody elses picture and is an actual photo - most pirates who flog via ebay do not show you the actual box (unless its those chinese DTS nutters).

Rather than taking photos/doing indivdual descriptions I'd add a line stating that you can provide photos on request of the said item. I'd also declare that the description is from Play or where ever, and if you have time add a link to a decent review of the film.

Obviously it would take a little more time, but should mean you get a few more of the careful bidders, who tend to be better payers.

8. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

Why not list here stating minimum 10 discs ?

Then move to e-bay after a week or two.

Got to be honest, I hate listing stuff on e-bay nowdays.. :( (too many times stuff sold and no payment received etc..)

Rob