200£ and a list

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BittenMailman, Jan 26, 2005.

1. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there :thumbsup:,

First of all i´m from Portugal, so excuse me for my bad english. :D
    As many of you out there i´m searching for the best dvd player for around 200£. I´ve read many reviews, lots of posts and i´ve come to a list of players that fit in my limited budget and that are available in my usual shop (where i´m trying to organize a super-test with the following players):

Pioneer 470
    Pioneer 575 (a must in these sort of budget lists)
    Marantz 4300
    Yamaha 550
    Denon 700
    Harman-Kardon 22

My goal is the best RGB PQ that i can get by a Qed scart 2110 into my Sony kv32cs70 TV without "mosquito noise" or "Mpeg artifacts". I don't need dvd-a, sacd or prog scan. My main problem is that in the reviews that i´ve read they mainly refer to PQ by components and/or prog scan. So could you give me any suggestions or feedback about these or any other players that could fit in my budget? MY current player is a crappy philips 612
    Thanks for your time :thumbsup:

2. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    All the threads over the last month seem to point mainly to 2 players.
    The Pioneer 575a or Toshiba 340e I've had the latter 3 days and it's a belter and for the quality costs peanuts. If you still live in Portugal probably less.

I've tried mine on all the various outputs, component, RGB scart, prog on and off and it's good on the lot.

4. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sony DVPNS955 is the best of the mid ranges at £220. Better than the others in your list on PQ. I have tested them all apart from the HK22. Much much better than a HK 25 though, which I have tested.

5. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the posts! Poggs the 955 is one player that i´m very curious about.I can´t find any reviews about it but i´m very tempted to go with Sony. Can you tell me the diference between the 930 (with very good reviews) and the 955 ? Is the 955 the new 930? The latter seems more sturdy than the 955...

6. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ERm. nope. Never seen 930 sorry. The sony 955 is a cracker. Absolutely silent in operation. Amazing picture. Better than anything else I've ever seen. Spanks my A1 which is linked to the projector and cost me £1200 when new. Only detractor is that for some unknown reason It will not play Xvid. Plays Divx 3,4,5 fine, but not Xvid. Real odd that.