20 meg upgrade question

MickEP

Established Member
Reaction score
At the moment I have a UP TO 10 meg connection, but its not often that I get anywhere near 10 meg (lucky to get 4 meg) My Question is(Sorry if a stupid one) but what benefit would it be to be upgraded to 20 meg in May when I cant even get anything like 10 meg now

possibly none but dont take my word for it, its a free upgrade though

At the moment I have a UP TO 10 meg connection, but its not often that I get anywhere near 10 meg (lucky to get 4 meg) My Question is(Sorry if a stupid one) but what benefit would it be to be upgraded to 20 meg in May when I cant even get anything like 10 meg now

What are you using to test your speed ?? Very few if any speedtest websites will give a true speed reading. Most tests tell me my connection is between 3 and 7 meg. However i easliy max out my 10meg using newsgroups. :smashin:

The real benefit of the upgrade is the upload speed increase and for those who use newsgroups/ftp etc where the source download speeds are not really a problem. Surfing the web i doubt you would notice a difference to be honest unless you have a few pc's and maybe xbox live etc all going at the same time.

Untill recently, I too had problems with my BB speed in the evening (Peak hours), as did others. Search either this thread or the ISP forum for specifics.

In the mornings, my speedtest would suggest close to 1.2 Mb per sexc as expected, but in the evening seom tiems I be luckt to ahve a tenth of this.

Howver, in the last two weeks or so, the speed in the evening has dramatically improved :)

I can only suggest thet the infractusture has improved proir to the upgrade to 20 MB

Adrian

What are you using to test your speed ?? Very few if any speedtest websites will give a true speed reading. Most tests tell me my connection is between 3 and 7 meg. However i easliy max out my 10meg using newsgroups. :smashin:
Thanks for the replies

If I use Torrents I get really poor download rates(Takes about 9 hours to download 350 meg file), I am not a member of any Newsgroups. to be honest I dont really know a lot about them, or how you use them:confused:
I have tried some of the speed test sites mentioned in other threads and it averages between 3-4meg. If I download a game from the Virgin Media site its about 6-7 Meg

Thanks for the replies

If I use Torrents I get really poor download rates(Takes about 9 hours to download 350 meg file), I am not a member of any Newsgroups. to be honest I dont really know a lot about them, or how you use them:confused:
I have tried some of the speed test sites mentioned in other threads and it averages between 3-4meg. If I download a game from the Virgin Media site its about 6-7 Meg

With Torrents, you're relying on the upload speed of the peers you're connected to, so your download speed is largely irrelevant.

Thanks for the replies

Yes you are a member of a newsgroup if you used to be a Telewest customer. Not sure about NTL.

Your free newsgroup is news.blueyonder.co.uk

Get yourself quickpar and grabit installed, both are free so google. Put news.blueyonder.co.uk in the server info and 3 connections and then your good to go.

Here's some more reading for you:-
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

and some sites to get your nzb files:-
http://www.newzleech.com/index.php?group=&type=&sort=&retention=&search=stargate&mode=usenet
http://www.binsearch.net/
http://www.nzbsrus.com/nzbbrowse.php

Make sure you connect to the modem via the Ethernet port, rather than the USB. With USB i could not get over 5mb, as soon as i changed over to the ethernet connection i got 10mb.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Seems to be the most accurate site IMO.

I've found downloading HD movie files from Microsoft.com to be a good indication of download speed.

Got to www.wmvhd.com and set 2, maybe 3 clips downloading. Wait for the the speeds to settle down and if you find over 1000kbyte/second... be happy :smashin:

Apparently VM will allow you to swap modems yourself, saving the £25 installation fee (according ot the thread linked above).

Does anyone know what modems will and will not work..?

1.3Mbyte is actually a little over 10Mbit, so be very happy if you're seeing that!

I regularly see approx 1.2Mbyte when downloading from multiple sources or one extremely good source which is approx 9.6Mbit... can't complain about that :smashin:

What is most appealing to me is upload, so Be is still rather attractive if I could just get round the BT 120 quid installation :mad:

Apparently VM will allow you to swap modems yourself, saving the £25 installation fee (according ot the thread linked above).

Does anyone know what modems will and will not work..?

That's right, you can get a 'self install' kit. You get a big old box with all the cables, splitters and tools you need. I got a NTL250 (the blue one) with mine when I swapped from BB through my STB and went to a SACM. It took only 10 minutes or so to wire up, including fighting the spiders behind my kit.

Thanks for the replies

I have been subscribing to Giganews for some time now, which gives me Unlimited Downloads from the Newsgroups, with access to ALL newsgroups available and 100 day retention period on posts. I ALWAYS max out my 10mb connection even when the internet pages seem to struggle at times.
Newsgroups are the way to go my friend. Tried torrents in the past, and in my experience they were pale in comparison.

Tried torrents in the past, and in my experience they were pale in comparison.

I use Torrentleech and I'm on 10Mb connection. I get consistant download speeds of 1.1Mb per second. I can download a full film in roughly an hour

With torrents it's dependant on the number of seeders. The more the better

Alienandy, I have just looked at giganews and it looks good,How easy is it to use, is it just like torrents were you can d/l a movie and then just play it on your PC
Or do you need another program to join the downloaded files together

Alienandy, I have just looked at giganews and it looks good,How easy is it to use, is it just like torrents were you can d/l a movie and then just play it on your PC
Or do you need another program to join the downloaded files together

I use a program called Newsleecher which is very easy to get into and use. It has a 'Super Search' feature on it that you can type in what you are looking for and a few seconds later it will display all the files that match what you typed in. Yes, there are plenty of Movies on there, as well as applications, wallpapers, etc.etc. Most large files are split into smaller .rar files which you can use winrar to decompress after you have downloaded them all.

I have been with several Newsgroup providers in the past, and I think Giganews, althought costing a bit more, IS the best of the lot. You get what you pay for!
I have been with some that cost less a month and then found that the 10Mb connection keeps going up and down.

I think that once you have experienced using Newsgroups you will never go back to torrents again!

I have been subscribing to Giganews for some time now, which gives me Unlimited Downloads from the Newsgroups, with access to ALL newsgroups available and 100 day retention period on posts. I ALWAYS max out my 10mb connection even when the internet pages seem to struggle at times.
Newsgroups are the way to go my friend. Tried torrents in the past, and in my experience they were pale in comparison.

Agree 100% with that.
Ive been a Gignews customer ever since i realised how poor my ISP' s newgroups were. Ive not looked at the Virgin ones (TW were terrible) but i dont expect anything like Giganews. I also use Newsleecher and it tells you how fast you are downloading. Very rarely does it go under 1.15mb/s.
so at the moment it takes 8-10mins to download a film in divx, cant wait for the speed to double. I remember when i was on dial up and it would take 20mins to get one MP3.
Ive given up on Torrents although ido use emule very occasionally if i cant find something in the newsgroup.
This is a great site to see whats about (you cant download anything from it so im hoping its not breaking the rules here). It tells you whats worth getting and whats not.
http://www.vcdquality.com/index.php

giganews here i come :)
Thanks for all the advice

you wont be sorry.
As Andy said, if you use Newsleecher it has a super search funtion so you dont even have to go looking for things, just type in what you want and its all there in front of you. This does cost though. If you buy the program you get a years access to the search engine, after the first year i thinki t costs another £24 (i cant remember the exact cost) but i feel its worth it as you do get a lot of postings in newgroups you wouldnt normally look in.

Its a great sight seeing your conection max out and stay that way rather going up and down. Ive had a few problems in the past with Giganews and TW but they seem to work together and sort it out quickly. Best of both worlds IMHO

great shout guys :thumbsup:
joined giganews d/l newsleecher and what a difference
just d/l a 350 meg file in less than 3 mins
Had a little difficulty with newsleecher, not knowing what to do,but eventually got there :confused:
Thanks again
Torrents what are they :D

great shout guys :thumbsup:
joined giganews d/l newsleecher and what a difference
just d/l a 350 meg file in less than 3 mins
Had a little difficulty with newsleecher, not knowing what to do,but eventually got there :confused:
Thanks again
Torrents what are they :D

I would thoroughly recommend News Rover. :thumbsup:

I got an email the other day about the upgrade and was told it would be free and that should my mdem need to be replaced that would be free also. I am on the VIP package though so maybe thats the differecne. definitely no mention of £2 extra or £25 for another modem. has anyone seen the list of modems that will not be supported? mine is fairly new due to the last one burning out a 2 months ago.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom