• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

20" LCD - 16:9 or 4:3

N

nish75

Hi

I am plannming to buy a 20" LCD TV for my bedroom.
Can you please advise me whether I should go for a 16:9 or 4:3? :lease:
I am a bit confused with this .

Thanks

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
16x9 is the future and 4x3 is the past. Increasingly, TV sources (with the exception of good old analogue - the days of which are numbered) are 16x9. As are most DVDs. You should get a 16x9 TV and you should get a Freeview capability (assuming you have reception) whether it's inside the TV or as a separate box.

jon2099

Definitely 16:9. One problem with 20" 4:3 LCD TVs is the low resolution, usually 640x480, but lately you do get some 800x600 panels. The 2 20" 16:9 LCD TVs that I'm aware of both have 1366x768 panels, that way you can at least use it as a decent PC monitor, not to mention HD feeds as well.

KingSizeSlims

Standard Member
How are 16:9's measured?? Is it still corner to corner??

In other words, is the height of a 20" 16:9 smaller than a 20" 4:3?

RockySpieler

XBox360 = HD WideScreen Gaming = :D

Try 26" AR 16:9 if you can afford it, note 20" AR 4:3 has screen height of 12", whereas a 26" AR 16:9 has a screen height of 12.74", only slightly taller. According to PIE.FAG.R.US anyhow.

N

nish75

Thanks for all your help. Really appreciated.
But I cannot find any 20-23 16:9 with HDMI/DVI.
Any suggestions please?

N

nish75

Thanks for all your help. Really appreciated.
But I cannot find any 20-23 16:9 with HDMI/DVI.
Any suggestions please?

KingSizeSlims

Standard Member
Personally (with limited experience admitedly), i dont reckon it's worth getting a widescreen that is less than 23".
The screen height of a 14:9 26" is only about 2cm taller than a 4:3 19" and the price difference is about 600 hundred quid!!

N

nish75

You are right KingSizeSlims, I have changes my mind now, and I will go for a 23".
I hope I will get one with DVI. I will check if the Philips has a 23" version.
Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom