1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20-39 PC+ or PC Ultra?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Kazman, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi Guys

I have a request, does anybody live in the vicinity of Luton or Bedfordshire (neighbouring counties or towns) that have either a 20-39 PC+ or a PC Ultra I could listen to?

I'm going to hit the buy it now button when I return from the states in 3 weeks time, so need to know if the benefits of the PC Ultra justify the price differential.

Or should I just go for the Ultra to avoid any future upgrade twitches? :confused:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you want to avoid upgradeitis I would suggest that you go for the B4 and make us all jealous :D

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    B4? Mate, you know how long it took me to get permission from the 'boss' to get the PC Ultra! If I suggest the B4, I will be shot, once by her, then by my neighbours after I switch it on! :eek:

Mmmm, a B4 would be lovely though, but it is just too expensive. I suppose it could double up as a coffee table :D, not sure if the coffee will stay on it while watching a movie, heh heh :).

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you can't find anyone closer I am only a fast hour's drive away from you and you are more than welcome to listen to mine

5. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kaz,

Seriously consider the PC-Ultra. I've never heard a PC+ but I've read comments that the TV12 driver used in the Ultra makes a difference to the tightness, slam, depth and SPL of the sub.

Avoid that niggling feeling of what if's? And just order the Ultra :D

BTW Smurfin lives in bedfordshire, maybe he's willing to demo his PC-Ultra?

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    Get the big one sir- it'll give me something meaningful to test the MS performance sub against :laugh:.

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I've bothered Smurfin once before, when I listened to his PB2+, as long as he is willing to put up with me for another visit, then that is the PC Ultra demo sorted :D

But if the Performance Sub is better than the SVS, I'll want to get one of those too!!! :confused: :mad: :suicide:

I like a tight bass sound, so the extra benefit of the Ultra driver in this regard is welcome. I dunno, I think I might just go for the Ultra, hopefully the TV12 driver won't be updated any time soon, or I'd have to upgrade again! :suicide:

Might have to take you up on that offer mate if I can't make up my mind :) Anybody closer?

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    Kazman, speak to me on msn a bit later...you're welcome for a demo, it's just timing that's a bit difficult atm. you'll love it though:)

10. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in Bedford and taking delivery of a PC Ultra tomorrow - once set up you are welcome to a demo......

Simon

11. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow,

Sounds like there's more PC Ultra's per sq. mile in Bedford than anywhere else in the world.

12. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I found a list of b4 owners in the uk ,take a look at this

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Go for the Ultra Kaz you KNOW you will wonder if you made the wrong choice if you get anything else :devil: :smashin:

14. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PC Ultra has just arrived. Been messing about with it for a couple of hours now, but fear that something is wrong - I've only hooked it up via the low level inputs so far, but I'm getting next to no level even with the gain up FULL - all other settings are as it came - I've used the auto setup on my Pioneer AX5 amp and am having to push the sub out level to +5 on the amp to get anywhere - none of this can be right, so it looks like a dud at the moment. I'll get the Avia disk and SPL metre out this evening just to make sure - but the omens are bad so far........

Simon

15. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Works awsomely well with the high level inputs.........could it be the amp not outputting the correct LFE?

Simon

16. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One last thing....how have SVS owners prized the port cover off? Mine seems pretty well stuck down and I dont want to have to use a sharp impliment to get it out.......

Simon

17. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After several hours of playing with the PC Ultra, I'm pretty well convinced that mine has a problem. LFE input produces next to no level unless the gain is on FULL, high level inputs seem to work fine, but the sub has now developed a nasty rattle that sounds like two pieces of metal clicking together inside the sub. All settings are as it was shipped, only used the gain so far. Not a happy camper. :mad:

Simon

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whizz off an email to tomv@svsubwoofers.com straight away as he will do his utmost to try and sort out your problem quickly or replace the whole unit if necessary.

I haven't taken the top off mine but the manual says to gently prize it off

19. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ian, am writing the email to Tom now. Its a damn shame as the sub is a real beauty - fantastic finish and build quality........

Simon

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is an unfortunate fact of life that when a subwoofer is transported overland from the factory in USA to the airport, flown over to UK, chucked around various warehouses here then loaded "gently" onto a lorry for delivery to your house, some are going to end up damaged.

It is obviously very frustrating having spent a few days looking forward to it's arrival to find that it's DOA but fortunately their after sales service is second to none

21. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Email sent to Tom. I know what you mean - the sub when delivered was in a pretty battered box and I thought when the BAX guy dropped it off that something could be wrong (he even joked about the fact that it probably 'bounced' well). It makes me reluctant to go through it all again sadly and if it does have togo back, I will have to think long and hard about whether to go for a refund or a replacement - nothing against SVS - they have been brilliant.

Simon

22. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Mine's being delivered on Thursday, and I've booked a day off work for it.
    To say I'll be gutted if its DOA would be an understatement.

Could one reasonably question the durability of these things as compared with other products? I mean, not much stuff is built in the UK these days so most of the stuff we buy in the shops will have been shipped in much the same way.

23. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the sub has to go back to SVS (which looks likely) what happens regards VAT and import duty on a potential replacement? Meaning, will I have to pay again and then claim back the original tax and duty (£165)? I understand that claiming the VAT and duty back can take quite a while.......

Simon

24. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luckily I work from home (writer), so haven't lost a day's work. The sub was packed ok - though how well you can pack such a fragile item is a debatable point - you would need a wooden crate to be sure and no-one does that nowadays. No blame to SVS - but boy am I gutted............

25. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will have to reclaim the Vat back from Customs and I have sent you a PM explaining exactly what this entails

26. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, back to the Strata III in the meantime.....could be worse.....from the little that I heard via the high level inputs, the depth and control of the SVS was pretty stunning and the level was stupendous.......its like being a kid and having the run of the sweet shop, only to be dragged away just as you are about to tuck in......

Simon

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The problem isn't one of durability as just as many other subs that have been imported from overseas are faulty but SVS have a very high profile on this forum and that includes warts and all, so everything is reported upon.

28. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other thing that makes me believe the sub to be a DOA. All I'm getting out of it is a single tonal boom - its not 'musical' at all, just really boomy and I would imagine tiring if I listened for more than a few minutes more. Nothing back from SVS as yet, I'll keep you all posted as to what the outcome is......

Simon

29. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,153
    Simon, if you like I can pop round at some point this weekend to check it out? Have you tried all the different RCA connectors for connecting at line level?

When you got that horrible clacking noise, was the sub tuned to 12hz with 2 ports blocked? How was is configured?

cheers
    Matt

30. kheraha

kheraha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt, offer much appreciated. Things have taken an interesting turn. I decided to plug the LFE cable directly out of the DVD player to the sub (Pioneer 868) - this gave me much higher level than from the amp, which is strange. I'm feeding the amp via Firewire from the DVD player and decided to hook it up via coaxial digital only instead - again, this resulted in higher level than Firewire, but still not where it should be.........the strange knocking noise happened when I was using high level in to the sub, set to 20hz - all other settings as it came, only the gain adjusted. SVS have just sent me instructions on how to extract the driver to see if its damaged at all - will report back on that later.......I'm on the Kempston side of Bedford btw.....

Simon