1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20-24" budget widescreen £400 ish

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by donkeymagic, Sep 19, 2005.

1. donkeymagic

donkeymagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in need of a widescreen 20-24" LCD Tv. Anything bigger would be too much considering I won't be sat that far away from it. I seem to be able to find loads of 17" and 26" w/screens and 20" 4:3 ratio sets. But don't seem to be able to find anything in between. Ideally it would have a resolution of 1200x768 and have a component input (xbox 360).

Having seen that the Neovia 26" in currys for £499. I must be able to find a smaller widescreen for less money.

Would appreciate any advice on where to find such a TV.

Cheers

2. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Try the Toshiba 20WL56 or Philips 20PF5320. Both 20" widescreen IPS panels, 1366x768, component input. The Philips also has DVI-HDCP.

I found the Toshiba here for £399 http://www.electricshop.com/invt/4066tos114813a but I haven't heard of that retailer. The Philips seems to be about £500, try Googling for it.

Another option is the Dell W1900 for £459, 19" 1280x768, same inputs as the Philips but seems to come with a rather slow 25ms PVA panel.

3. donkeymagic

donkeymagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jon. Looks impressive for the money and a 'brand' name. Definately one to look into further. Cheers.

4. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    How about the Samsung LE23R41B 23" LCD TV ? It's the smaller version of the LE26R41B/BD and LE32R41B/BD. Online you can probably find it for 400 to 500. That model range is very popular and the 26" and 32" have got a lot of good reviews and positive feedback. I've just purchased the LE26R41BD and awaiting delivery.

5. eajh

eajh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd avoid the Samsung LE23R41 if my recent experience is typical. I ordered mine from Digi UK because I had read on AV forums that they were an authorised Samsung dealer and the price was good. A few weeks later the screen/stand was delivered without cables, accessories, remote etc. That was 10 days ago now. I am still waiting for them.

Digi blamed Samsung and told me to call a person there called Kat who it is impossible to reach because of Samsung's automated phone system and because no one I have yet spoken to at Samsung has actually heard of her. The week before last I got through to someone else at Samsung who took my details and told me the missing parts would arrive in up to 10 working days. I waited patiently. No joy. Called back yesterday and finally got through to someone else who said Samsung had decided not to send me the missing items (although they didn't think to ring and tell me that!) Apparently they forgot to tell me last time that head office won't authorise sending replacements without me sending a fax of my invoice and ringing back to tell them what time I sent the fax! What century do they live in? Apparently I might be someone after a free remote control or something. Obviously communication between Samsung and Digi is not great. Hope others have fared better, as I gather I am not the only one who got sent an incomplete order.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    God this is just like the plasma forum! Samsung customer service is awful, and I hope their LCD screens are better than their Plasmas! :D

7. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    That doesn't sound good - was all set to get the Samsung for my PC and Xbox 360 (when it arrives!).

Is this still the best I could get for about £500?? Thinking a 26" might be a bit big as I'll only sit just over a metre away!

8. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    I don't see any reason to avoid this TV just because you had a bad experience with the online retailer and unfortunately Samsung as well. It's all part of ordering online instead of from a local retailer in order to save money. It's cheaper to order online but it can obviously be much harder to get issues resolved in such a case. That series of LCD TV's, the LE23R41B, LE26R41B/BD and LE32R41B/BD have an overall good reputation and the majority of people who own one seem to be happy with their choice. :eek:

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Edited: deleted post regarding the 32" samsung as I now see there is a big thread on it and I don't want to start any arguments! :eek: :D

10. eajh

eajh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments. Have spoken to a more helpful person at Samsung this morning who was very apologetic about the delay etc and I have been promised my missing manual, cables, remote etc in another 5-10 working days. Will post what I think of the tv itself when I get the missing bits and finally manage to switch it on, assuming it is not an obsolete model by then!

11. eajh

eajh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had hoped by now to be able to report on my new Samsung LE23R41 which was delivered by Samsung without cables, remote etc nearly a month ago now. Sadly I am still waiting for said cables despite being told by Samsung three times on the phone that they were being sent. This even included confirmation of the fact by a man at Samsung customer services called Rhonan on Friday. However, I came into work this morning and found a voicemail left for me on Saturday from someone at "Samsung Customcare" (is this a joke?) alled Polly saying they were not now being sent and I should refer to Digi UK instead, which was contrary to everything they have been saying before.

Sorry to bore you with this, but I think prospective purchasers ought to be aware of just how shambolic customer service/after-sales is at Samsung, if my experiece is anything to go by. :thumbsdow

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Just send it back mate.