20"-23" Lcd Tv??

mleonard79

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to buy a 20-23" LCD TV as a christmas present. I'm looking for a widescreen model that can also double as a PC monitor (it's for my brother and he plays games on the PC and on his PS2 quite a bit so it would need to be good for that too.) I'd ideally not want to spend any more than £350 so are there any decent good quality sets out there that match what I'm looking for and are in budget? Where should I be looking and what should I be looking for? Thanks for any help.

I've been looking for the exact same thing as a present for my birthday :)

Heard good reviews about Hanns-G stuff. They have an HD 26" widescreen LCD TV, with Component, DVI-D, 2x scart - perfect for your PC and goodies.

and link: £304 at Pixmania

Ordered it on sunday, it arrived earlier today and i think for £304 its a bargain
It has 2 scarts, HDMI, component, composite, s video and PC, and its HD Ready too!!!
PQ is fine for the money, and it comes with a 2 year warranty, so can't be bad.
Regards,
Dishdoc

If you happen to see this, I can't find it on the website, what are it's width and height dimensions? Just seeing if it'll fit on my desk :)

Also, where abouts are the ports on the back, are they upwards, into the base of the screen, or plug in directly to the back.

I'll probably be ordering vary soon :)

If you happen to see this, I can't find it on the website, what are it's width and height dimensions? Just seeing if it'll fit on my desk :)

Also, where abouts are the ports on the back, are they upwards, into the base of the screen, or plug in directly to the back.

I'll probably be ordering vary soon :)

Hi, the tv is boxed back up, and sent off to santa:D so i can't give you dimentions, but from memory the power, hdmi, pc and audio inputs are housed under a cover across the bottom of the rear of the screen - component, composite, s vid are under a cover on the side.
Regards,
Dishdoc

Hi Xellalah and Dishdoc,

Thanks so much for the replies! This TV looks good but I've never heard of the brand which makes me a little apprehensive although the reviews really are good for it. Anyone else heard of HANNSG or got a TV off them? As it's a 26" though I'm not sure it would fit as it has to go on his computer table - he's got a clunky 19" monitor on there at the moment though so it might fit! If anyone's got the adtual dimensions so I could measure it I'd be grateful too. Thanks a lot and any other suggestions welcome too but I do like the look of this one!

Regards

Michelle

Well I've just measured the space on the computer table and I'm sure 26" would definintely fit - not sure if it'll look a bit big there as a PC monitor though!

It has 2 scarts, HDMI, component, composite, s video and PC, and its HD Ready too!!!

Hi Again Dishdoc - just from reading the specs it says that it doesn't have HDMI but you've listed that so was just wondering what's right?! Also what difference does having HDMI make? Sorry my techie knowledge is a bit limited! Would it matter for gaming? Thanks.

Regards

Michelle

basically HDMI (high definition multimedia interface) is just another form of connection, like scart, component.

the setup i've got in my uni room is a large desk opposite a bed, so i'd have a very large PC monitor, and then a perfect gaming screen :) What I don't know is, and again help would be useful, can I connect my 360 to the TV using HDMI, or is VGA better?

regarding HANNS-G, I had a 19" widescreen tft from them, which was fantastic for gaming. they aren't a Sony or Panasonic, but every review i've read has been positive!

I factored in no more than 30" across, and 20" upwards. A nice snug fit between my desk and fitted shelving!

Just from having another look at the specs of this TV it says it has a response time of 18ms. From looking at other threads on here this seems quite high as people are talking about 8-12ms - this worries me a little as it's a present for my brother and he used his PS2 with his TV and may double it as a PC monitor and play PC games too so would this response time be ok for that? Thanks.

Regards

Michelle

I don't reckon it'd be too much of a problem. If so, you've got ~14 days to return it if you're not happy!

Have to see if anyone else has one =)

Hi Again Dishdoc - just from reading the specs it says that it doesn't have HDMI but you've listed that so was just wondering what's right?! Also what difference does having HDMI make? Sorry my techie knowledge is a bit limited! Would it matter for gaming? Thanks.

Regards

Michelle

Hi Michelle,
Its definately got a hdmi socket, coz i connected my sky hd to it when i was testing it yesterday:clap: also tried 360 through component, though couldn't be bothered to compare with vga, although I did try my laptop through the vga and was very impressed!!
Regards,
Dishdoc

Hi Dishdoc,

I think I've worked out where the HDMI confusions stems from - the model pixmania are selling that Xellalah posted the link to does not have HDMI but there is a slightly updated version of the same model out that does have HDMI as I've seen it advertised here by direct tvs and on overclockers so that must be the one you've got.

From what you can gather so far then do you think it'd be ok for PS2 games and PC games? That's really my only concern as at £300 it seems a real bargain. If it was just for me I wouldn't be bothered - all I'd care about is whether it'd have a good pic and sound quality for watching sky and dvds but for my brother games are important.

I've also now been looking at THIS Philips model - it's a 23" but it is a brand name and only slightly dearer. Anybody got this one? What do you think? I think I could get it for around £335 with promotional codes and cashback so there's not much difference in cost between the two sets.

Regards

Michelle

Wish I was your brother... my sister's got me a pack of batteries and some socks for christmas :)

LOL that's a pretty mean christmas present! To be honest I don't usually spend quite so much on my brother's christmas present but it's a joint gift from me and my mum as he's been really good to us this year and he's bound to buy me something expensive! I'd definitely normally be getting him more than batteries and socks though :thumbsdow

:)

I emailed pixmania about the TV, apparently it does have an HDMI, the one they are advertising is identical to the one on direct tvs, same model number and everything.

Looks like easter time for me now tho, so hope these TVs are still cheap then!

I emailed pixmania about the TV, apparently it does have an HDMI, the one they are advertising is identical to the one on direct tvs, same model number and everything.

I guess it must just be a mistake when it says no HDMI on the specs page on pixmania then.

To be honest I'm even more confused now from talking to other people - some people have said it's pointless getting HD on a TV under 32" due to the lines being so close together on a sub 32" screen that you'll barely see any difference between HD and SD. Also I've been told that anything slower than 12ms won't be good enough for gaming so I'm back to square one as far as finding a suitable Tv goes :mad: Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Ok from reading through a lot of threads on the forums again I've found THIS 22" Mirai set with a response time of 6.5ms that seems to be made to double up as both an LCD Tv and a PC monitor. I've not really heard of the Mirai brand before but it seems to get good reviews - what do you think of this instead then? I can g tit for around £300 but it seems to be sold out at a few sites too. Would I be better off with this or should I pay the extra and get the 23" Samsung or the 23" Philips (and hope the 16ms is ok)?

Regards

Michelle

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom