1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20" - 23" LCD Monitor/TV Help

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Sicton, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm going off to uni in a few days and there's no way I can take my 28" widescreen CRT TV with me so I'm going to have to buy a small LCD screen but having searched far and wide I can't really find anything that matches my needs.

I also have a 17" CRT monitor which I want to get rid of and use the LCD for PC usage and as a TV. I don't mind if the LCD is actually a widescreen TFT monitor or an LCD TV but I'm mainly going to be using it for PC, and gaming (Xbox 360 when it's out), so obviously I want something HD-ready and something between 20" and 23" would be best - anything bigger than that would probably not be suitable for PC usage.

Am I right in saying that PC monitor TFT screens cost significantly more than LCD TVs of the same size because they support higher resolutions, use different technology and perhaps last longer in continued use, even though they have less inputs and no TV tuners?

So far I've liked the look of Dell's 20" and 24" widescreen monitors, Apple's 20" cinema display, and the 23" Samsung LCD but I'm interested to know what you think would be best.

Thanks

2. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone have anything they'd like to offer?

Thanks

3. jeremyr62

jeremyr62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only that students appear to have far too much money these days.

4. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Go for the dell 2405FP if you can afford it at around £600, heard great things about it and if your a gamer you'll find a lot of new releases in the future will support widescreen, i have the 2001fp which is a 20.1 inch 4:3 you can pick those up for about £250-£300.

With regards to uni you wont be able to benefit from hd as you'll need a sky system at uni and it's at least 6 months away. Freeview might be a good idea.

5. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just read a review on the Dell 2405FP and it does say DVD playback was a little streaky and generally mediocre.

The reason I want HD is for future-proofing but also I'm going to be getting an Xbox 360 when released so that's the obvious reason - I don't have Sky at home anyway.

If I went for the Dell I'd still have to buy a TV card on top of it if I wanted to watch TV whereas the Samsung is all set.

6. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What's the difference between LCD TV and TFT monitor other than resolution that affects price?

7. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    Most TFT monitors don't have analogue or digital tuners although there are exceptions.

8. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And yet they cost considerably more?

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Come on, the guy's asking for advice, not that sort of thing :confused: - if the guy was rolling around in money then he probably wouldn't be asking for an LCD monitor/TV combo would he?

To answer your question... probably. Most LCD TVs, even the expensive ones, use 768 line panels but my own PC LCD screen from 2 years ago has 1024. Keep in mind that if you buy a monitor that also has TV/Video capabilities, the results probably won't be anything like as good as they would be on a dedicated LCD TV.

As for not lasting as long, I don't see why that should be the case.

10. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Okay, well I think the Dell is a pretty good one to go for although I don't like the fact that it's got a 16:10 ratio rather than 16:9. Also I've heard some reports that it's a better screen for desktop usage rather than games, movies and use through its component inputs which is a little disappointing.

I'm not sure what to buy now!