20"-22" Gaming TV £400-£800

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by jp_bl_68, Feb 7, 2009.

1. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I need a new TV for my PS3. I'd be using it only to play games so that's what the TV needs to be best at. It'll need an HDMI input, ideally it'll have a headphone output, 2ms response time, full 1080p. As it's only going to be used for games it doesn't even have to be a TV, a PC monitor would do (provided it had all the right connections). I've got a budget of £400-£800. Any recommendations?

2. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Hi,
    Run the Samsung SM2232BW through Google and see what you think.

KH

3. kpatm

kpatm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats alot of money on a 22" TV.Are you not willing to go any bigger?

4. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I'd like to but it's a bedroom setup. I've tried using a 26" Panny and it's just too big for the room. I might be able to get away with a 24" but I think 22" would probably be more sensible. I know a lot of gamers are using 32" LCDs and I'd love to be one of them but I just can't fit something that big into my room.

So I thought I'd go for a smaller screen with the absolute best spec I can find for PS3 gaming at around 22"/24". Any suggestions?

I suppose it doesn't need to have internal speakers as I can output sound directly from the PS3 (either by digital optical or......something else, not really sure).

5. kpatm

kpatm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have a look on Richer Sounds.I recently bought a 37" LG3000 from them(a week ago).The first one had a stuck Pixel they replaced that set with a brand new one no questions asked.Then that set had a vibrating noise from the speaker area,they took that back to no questions.They are very very helpful.In the end I couldnt see another make I liked just now so I got a refund.Oh take out the 5 year extended warranty if you do buy from them,its only 10% of the cost of the item you buy.:thumbsup:

6. kpatm

kpatm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  7. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I'm going to have to look at a few Samsungs, I'll add that one to the list.

I think that the fact my current TV is only 50/60hz might have something to do with my trouble focusing on the image. Anyone know of any 22"/24" 100/120hz TVs/monitors?

8. kpatm

kpatm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep I think your right about the Hz thing.When I had my LCD at 60hz it was kind of blurry using it as a monitor but when I set it to 75hz it was much better.

9. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    Great. It seems as though that's the problem. Just need to find an appropriate TV/monitor now.

10. Slipperystevens

Slipperystevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm thinking of getting this one for my lad, for use with his 360. It'd be nice to hear from anyone who already has one. :smashin:

Also, I'd steer well clear of the newer LG models (the ones where LG have tried to copy Samsung). It seems some are not wall-mountable without a special adapter bracket, which LG are unable to supply! However, if they could, I think they're in the region of £140!!! :eek:

11. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    Went to Richer Sounds today, picked up a Samsung T200HD (£230, £253 with 5yr warranty). I've only been using it for an hour or so but the difference is huge. Miles better for gaming, better sound, better picture quality. It doesn't feel as well designed and it's not as thin but it's definitely the better TV.

Thank you for all the help.

12. agoodwin

agoodwin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slipperystevens/kpatm - I'm looking for some reviews of the Samsung SM2333HD 23" but I'm struggling to find any on this model. I'm wondering if it's as good as some of the 'dedicated' monitors in respect of using it as a PC monitor to view text.

Interesting about setting them to a higher Hz as I've seen some friends using TV's as monitors and I've always thought that normal PC work looked blury. I'm therefore a bit cautious about buying a TV/Monitor for fear of it being a jack of all trades and master of none.

If I do get one I'll be hooking it up via DVI to my PC for a while until I upgrade my graphics card so any experience on using this connection is also appreciated if you ended up getting one.

Thanks!

13. Slipperystevens

Slipperystevens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry fella, he doesn't use it as a monitor (yet), so can't offer an opinion. I also haven't got a PC with that connection otherwise I'd hook it up & take a look. However, I can say that as a screen for the 360, it's superb. Very happy I waited to get this one.

14. agoodwin

agoodwin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply anyway - the limited comments I have seen on it have been positive on almost all aspects so it's still top of the list...

15. B1ade

B1ade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    waste of time on a 360! ALL 360 games run at 720p if you display at 1080p itll just upscale.

16. Jim Ord

Jim Ord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0