2 Zone Amp - two Sonos Connects needed?

Astraeus

Folks

I'm in the market for a 7.1 amp with two zone outputs which will be partnered with Sonos to get sound into both zones (dining room and living room). Using, say, one of the Denon X range, will I need two Connect units (not amps) to be plugged into two inputs on the amp to output different music to two zones?

Thanks in advance.

A.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Will one of the zones be the main 7.1 room? If so then you'd simply need a stereo integrated amplifier connected to the receiver's second zone pre outs. What audio material and from what source is it that you want to relay to the second zone?

Astraeus

It will be a combination of Spotify (available through the amp) and NAS (also available through the amp) which will be fed into the living room (main 5.1 room) and dining room (zone two 2.0 room). Thinking harder, if the amp can do Spotify and DLNA, this set up wouldn't need Sonos at all would it as the amp could deal with grabbing the data and routing it to both zones?

dante01

Distinguished Member
It will be a combination of Spotify (available through the amp) and NAS (also available through the amp) which will be fed into the living room (main 5.1 room) and dining room (zone two 2.0 room). Thinking harder, if the amp can do Spotify and DLNA, this set up wouldn't need Sonos at all would it as the amp could deal with grabbing the data and routing it to both zones?
You'd simply need to run speaker wire from the receiver to the second zone. THe only thing I'm not sure about is an AV receiver's ability to play two seperate network sources simultaneously? I'm unsure as to whether or not you'd be able to play a DLNA audio source in one room while accessing Spotify via the receiver and playing it in another zone?

Astraeus

Brilliant, thank you.

It would appear, at worst, that the setup I have in mind will need one Connect if I insist on using two network sources at once.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom