2 Youview boxes

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by jonna, Jan 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,762
    I have a Youview box with BT and would like another, will 2 boxes work ok. Also does anyone know if BT are serious about introducing a multiroom option the same as sky this year?. I would rather wait a few months and get multiroom rather than spend £250.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Two things to check.

If they are both in the same room then you need to check the supplied remote is like the other Humax HD pvrs and can be set to use a different ir channel.

Secondly if you want to use vod on both boxes at the same time your download speed is adequate to support both.

If you don't need vod on both I would get a HDR FOX T2 instead and and add the Custom Firmware to it.

3. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,762
    Thanks Graham. I have BT Infinity option 2 so speed shouldn't be an issue with download speeds around 40mbps. The boxes are going to be in different rooms and even though I have read numerous negative posts on the Youview box, I personally love it.

4. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    To answer your questions - yes two boxes will work.

And no, BT will not be bringing out a supported multiroom function in the foeseeable.

5. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    From the BT FAQ's, read the last sentence, I know it does not mention 2 Youboxes at the start.

Can I use my BT Vision+ box in another room if I get a YouView box from BT?

No, using more than one box from BT on the same broadband line doesn't work. If you plug in a YouView box from BT, your old BT Vision+ box will stop working. So if you don't want to miss anything, make sure you watch any recordings on your old box before plugging your new one in. We hope to offer a multi-room service in 2013.

6. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    Well spotted. It does indeed state it won't work. But I know at least ten forum posters who are running two boxes on their line, and they all work. Including their old BTV boxes too. But the sports card does get disabled, unfortunately.

7. Filklore

Filklore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As Andy pointed out, the bit that he quoted *doesn't* say two YouView boxes won't work, so does not contradict your (and other's) experiences. It says that a BT Youview box won't co-exist with an old BT Vision+ box.

The bit that is of interest, and pertinent to this thread, is that it also says "We hope to offer a multi-room service in 2013".

8. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    BT do not count downloads/streaming to a Vision+ or Youview box against a monthly allowance (not sure how they do this, presumably it is done in software that does not currently allow for more than one Youview or a Youview box plus Vision + box on the same line)

Again, I presume they are developing a software patch to allow their modem/routers to cope with two or more boxes streaming over the same line. I also suspect that their servers may not be able to cope with two boxes on the same account sharing the "extras" like premium services.

9. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    I am aware of what it says and the point Andy makes. But being a longstanding BT customer, I have learnt to believe things when I actually see them.

10. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    Hi lbear,

Whilst I can understand where your coming from, it's my experience that its dangerous to presume anything. As I have also read users have actually managed to access VOD content on two boxes at the same time. However, they were on the BT Infinity (fibre) service. BT have now realised a small number of users are doing this, and so they have reiterated that this configuration is not and will not be supported by BT. But it does actually work.

11. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I have a constant 32Mb/s on my Virgin BB line so presumably it could handle up to 5 or 6 Youview boxes - unless the usage gets so high they shape my service.

It's not a question of being able to access the service, it's whether you have a fixed download limit which will be eaten into if you attach the second box.

It looks like they will offer a reduced price "second box" subscription providing you use the same phone line. Their deal is actually quite good if you intend ditching them after a year and keeping the box :devil: They probably know it too LOL. The other thing of course is that BT did not intend to use Humax boxes which must be in fairly short supply. They ditched their original supplier, Pace, after the delivered boxes did not come up to spec (but then neither the Humax nor Huawei boxes currently meet the Youview base specification as far as the software implementation of the hardware is concerned - no USB functionality for example and therefore no provision for a USB wifi dongle).

12. Filklore

Filklore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm puzzled. You said "Well spotted. It does indeed state it won't work."

But it didn't state that, and Andy didn't say that it stated that.

And yet now you say you were aware of what it says, and the point Andy was making.

13. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    Yes you've pretty much covered all the bases there.

But apologies I cannot make myself clearer to you.

14. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,154
    VisionMan, you say there are a number of instances of two youview boxes working in the same installation, but do you know of any instances of youview boxes working in the same installation as a BT Vision box? (... despite what is quoted by BT) ...

I am not necessarily thinking in terms of simultaneous VOD demand purposes, but is it not the case that BTV boxes cannot be used at all ( even as freeview receivers) unless they are recognised and registered by the system.

Is that process impossible if a youview box is also connected?

15. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    Hi Gavtech,

Yes, I have seen a number of posts from BTV users who reconnected they're BTV boxes after activating a YouView box. And they fully function with no loss of features.

However, all have consistently reported two downsides to this -

1 The BTV box factory resets itself so all recordings are lost (though users have been pre-warned this would happen by the BT Mods). And -

2 The sports subscription card is disabled.

Though everything else works. Including VOD.

16. MonkeyPrince

MonkeyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I have a black BTV box working perfectly alongside my BT Youview box.

BT even supplied me extra homeplugs to facilitate this.

The BTV box did not reset itself, and all old recordings were left intact.

The on demand content works on both machines, but I have not tried them at the same time (precautionary measure)

17. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,154
    Thanks for that info.

There was a period when Youview was in development that BT were 'experimenting' with converting existing BT Vision boxes to the Youview platform by re-formatting the HDD's to linux and installing Youview software (...even though BTV boxes don't reach the full Youview specification).
    ( I have in mind the original Silver BT Vision boxes)

Is what you are saying above implying that it is what happens here under these circumstances: A re-format and new firmware... or is it just a reformat? ... or neither?

Additionally, irrespective of use with another Youview box, do you know BT's policy or intention with regard to existing BT Vision boxes.

Are they still rolling out this changeover of old boxes to the Youview platform?

I am still unclear how they intend to operate what amounts to a 'two tier' system.... given that whether or not they do these conversions, any converted boxes remain SD only.

So presumably there will have to be some financial recognition of that in the pricing structure for customers who do not upgrade to new hardware?

18. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    All BTVision black boxes are still being converted to the new Linux platform, or BTVision 2.0 as its called. And, once converted, they will also work as a standalone Freeview PVR. Which is a nice benefit.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  19. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,154
    So will the silver boxes stay 'as is'?

20. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    The silver boxes will no longer function, eventually. But a date for this has not yet been set.

21. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,154
    Thanks for all that.

22. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    Any time and your welcome.

A bit further info - when the Humax YouView boxes become fully Multicast enabled to show the new live TV and sport channels (which is expected to be July), BT will then be fully switching to the YouView platform, and boxes too, for new customers. And thats when I'll be switching too. Though the BTV black legacy boxes will still be maintained.

23. ncmoody

ncmoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I have a BT Vision Silver box full of recordings that I would be most disappointed if I lost.

Content deleted and transferred to a new mor appropriatly titled thread.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013