• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2 years on and the cinema room is finished. Which HD to save for?

booey1

Established Member
Okay so it's taken a good while to get things done, but now the dream is being realised.

The only issue in the building process is that we have changed the orientation of the room, which has reduced the throw distance quite a bit.

So what projector, mount and screen? Looking around £600-800 all in.

Ceiling mounted.
Max screen size: 240cm wide, 150cm high.
Throw distance: 200-220cm

It doesn't matter if I don't use the full size, but I'd like to use most of it. Mainly for DVD and blueray, possibly occasional x-box. There is only one small window about 3m from the screen on the same wall, so very little natural light.

Hoping to save up and get something around Christmas/January.Recommendations? Thoughts?

Thanks very.much.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
You really have boo booed in reducing your throw to 2mtrs as there is only one home cinema projector that will throw a large enough image at this sort of throw that I am aware of.

The Optoma GT750 is a 720p DLP machine and from 2mtr will give an image of the size you are looking for they are around £550-600 at the moment.

Optoma GT750 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

booey1

Established Member
Well I had planned for 3-4m, but stuff happens. What if I could trail a cable to get a 3m throw? Would that give more options? Are other projectors better?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
With a 3mtr throw (throw= Front of the pj lens to screen face) you should be able to get a 92" diagonal image with most projectors so if you are happy with that you will be ok.

£600-800 all in is still a bit light as a screen will cost £100 approx and that is for a cheap one and a mount around £25-45 so that leaves only £650 max and at that level there is still only a couple of choices.

Fortunately Optoma has the HD20/200x or HD23/230x it depends on what is available when you are ready to buy.They are all 1080p models and give a much better quality image than the GT750 and currently cost £599 approx so just in budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom