• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2 Xboxes want same data on one harddrive

sarah3585

Standard Member
So here's the thing.

Myself and my boyfriend are both gamers. We have a Xbox and PS3 but the PS3 is more of a Blu-Ray player and way of streaming from my mac so we only have 2 games for it. We both argue about who's gets to play the xbox at weekends. So I've been thinking of getting a second xbox for the bedroom. However of course 2 years of saves are on the first xbox hard drive. Is there a way of easily moving the saved data for the odd game when one of us is using the second xbox? I know you can move your profile via a memory unit but what about saved data for a game so one of us can carry on from a save? Then easily move it back onto the main xbox?

Smudge Mouse

Established Member
One way would be to swap the hard drives over whenever you want to use the secondary machine. Thats what I do with my setup. It allows you to keep the same gamertag and game data.

Downsides are that it doesn't allow you to utilise any installed disc games from the hard drive (although you can play them fine from the disc) and you need to be online if you want to use any downloaded DLC.

mark1000

Distinguished Member
So here's the thing.

Myself and my boyfriend are both gamers. We have a Xbox and PS3 but the PS3 is more of a Blu-Ray player and way of streaming from my mac so we only have 2 games for it. We both argue about who's gets to play the xbox at weekends. So I've been thinking of getting a second xbox for the bedroom. However of course 2 years of saves are on the first xbox hard drive. Is there a way of easily moving the saved data for the odd game when one of us is using the second xbox? I know you can move your profile via a memory unit but what about saved data for a game so one of us can carry on from a save? Then easily move it back onto the main xbox?

Hi, i use a memory card to store my saves, then just take it to whichever 360 i want to use.

Mark.

sarah3585

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies.

@ Smudge Mouse would that mean we would have to have a hard drive each? Which is ok I guess. Only problem would be for games like Rock Band we download songs from my account but my bf can still play them when signed in. Having our own hard drive would stop that.

@ mark1000 seems like a possible soution then if it can be easily moved back and forwards between the 2 xboxes. Or do you just have all your saves go onto a memory unit so you just take it with you whatever Xbox you're on? It would just be downloaded content that we wouldn't be able to use on the secondary xbox.

Smudge Mouse

Established Member
My setup is limited to using just the one harddrive, so you wouldn't be able to use the same game data on both xboxs at the same time.

bouncer

Prominent Member
Best option I see if a memory unit, You need to be signed in and you can copy the saves, but you have to move the gamertag, Only problem is that some games you need to sign into and re-save to the memory unit as there saves are locked sometimes, and other times it won't allow you to even make a copy, Which is annoying to say the least!

DJSigma

Banned
I have 2 consoles and I use a memory unit with my gamertag and game saves on it.

The only issue for doing that with 2 people is if you have your own gamertags and you want to access DLC/XBLA games on both consoles. For example, if you download some content on to console A using your gamertag, then re-download it on to console B, so it's on both consoles, your boyfriend wouldn't be able to access the content on console B with his gamertag. It would be accessible on console A (to anyone), and on console B only when your gamertag is signed into Live.

sarah3585

Standard Member
I have 2 consoles and I use a memory unit with my gamertag and game saves on it.

The only issue for doing that with 2 people is if you have your own gamertags and you want to access DLC/XBLA games on both consoles. For example, if you download some content on to console A using your gamertag, then re-download it on to console B, so it's on both consoles, your boyfriend wouldn't be able to access the content on console B with his gamertag. It would be accessible on console A (to anyone), and on console B only when your gamertag is signed into Live.

Thanks. I think this would be ok. We don't download a lot just Rock Band songs which we would prob only use on Console A in the bigger room. One of us would prob just need to move the game save to play Fifa Manager mode or carry off with our FF adventure.

DJSigma

Banned
Ideally, you could do with 2 memory units, one for each of you. That way you'll never be in a situation where you're playing on console A and your boyfriend says "let me just copy my gamertag over to the memory unit so I can play on the other console". Whichever console you wanna play on, you just whack in your memory unit and you're away then as it saves you copying things back and forth between the hard drive and your memory unit, and the 360 has 2 slots for memory units so you could both play on the same console at the same time. It's just a shame the memory units are so expensive, but that's the best way to go IMO.

sarah3585

Standard Member
Ideally, you could do with 2 memory units, one for each of you. That way you'll never be in a situation where you're playing on console A and your boyfriend says "let me just copy my gamertag over to the memory unit so I can play on the other console". Whichever console you wanna play on, you just whack in your memory unit and you're away then as it saves you copying things back and forth between the hard drive and your memory unit, and the 360 has 2 slots for memory units so you could both play on the same console at the same time. It's just a shame the memory units are so expensive, but that's the best way to go IMO.

Seems like the best option. We already have one memory unit. Many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom