2 x Sky+ Add Sky HD= Multiroom Confusion

Trev S-J

Standard Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this topic has been already covered in another thread (honest I have looked!!)but here goes.
Just ordered Sky HD to augment my multiroom setup(Sky+ with converted 160gbHDD in lounge, secondSky+ with 80gb HDD in kitchen)Both have full Sky subscription package.
My dilemma is,am I able to keep the two Sky+boxes and also have the HD box installed as well.The obvious problem is the quad lnb would be swopped for the new"octo"lnb,and extra cabling for the weakest 80gb box to go upstairs,the 160 box into the kitchen,leaving the HD box to partner the new toshiba in the lounge.What sort of monthly subscription would this incur,or if from what I have gleaned from the "FAQ",then one of the sky boxes would be free from any fees due to it being an extra multiroom box!!??,this is when I start getting confused(possible senior moment!!)Surely Sky are not going to allow me to keep the "smaller"sky+ in the loop so to speak without demanding the proverbial pound of flesh in the form of another £10 for their coffers?

Yes you can but you need to tell Sky to include a Octo LNB (8 feeds) which will run up to 4 sky+'s or 8 standard boxes or combination of both. The engineer on the morning pronbably will not have this LNB if it is not ordered in advance. Cheers, Franc

You obviously haven't looked hard enough as this has been covered many times. Oh well here goes again ;)

On top of what you're already paying you will have to pay a further £10 pm for the HD subscription and an extra £10 pm for the additonal multiroom. You won't have to pay any extra for the Sky+ functionality on the HD box as this is included within you existing subscriptions.

Oh yeah forgot, Each extra sky card costs £10 and all need to be on the same phone number, but you could use one box as free to air but wouldn't have the recording facility. Cheers, Franc

neilmcl said:
Not quite true I'm afraid, if he's already paying for or have Sky+ included in his subscription he will be able to use this functionality even on a box that he uses as a FTA box, as long as he has a viewing card for that box.

you sure about that? i'd have thought unless the card in the box is on a full sub (albeit only £10 as its the second or third room) then it wont have the recording ability.....

reason i'm assuming this is because if its FTA then it isnt on your account........if its not on your account then it cant benefit from anything else in your account......also means it doesnt need to be hooked up to a phone line....a minor bonus if you dont want all the paid channels and recording ability...

No card no recording! That's what's happened when I've installed them in the past, Maybe Sky have changed the system don't know haven't checked recently, I'm only an installer!
Cheers, Franc

Knyght_byte said:
you sure about that? i'd have thought unless the card in the box is on a full sub (albeit only £10 as its the second or third room) then it wont have the recording ability.....

reason i'm assuming this is because if its FTA then it isnt on your account........if its not on your account then it cant benefit from anything else in your account......also means it doesnt need to be hooked up to a phone line....a minor bonus if you dont want all the paid channels and recording ability...
Sorry, you're quite right, I was thinking of something entirely different, ie, being able to receive Sky+ on a FTA sky+ box whilst paying just the £10 pm sub. I'll delete my earlier post. :oops:

Franc, I did say that you would still require a viewing card though.

LOL - I wish you could use Sky plus recording with a fta card I would earn more dosh on the side!!
To recap, the first sky+ machine you pay £10 extra for the recording if you do not have 2 premium channels (movies or sport).
You pay £10 for HD subscription
On the second Sky+ box onwards you get free recording if you have multiroom cards which costs £10 per card.

A fta sky card in a sky+ didn't last time I tried record anything

Blimey they rake it in dont they!!!
Cheers, Franc

Thanks for all the prompt replies regarding multiroom,Iwill post again when the letter from Sky regarding contract etc. comes in the post.I`m sure that Sky will have their own take on the matter as usual.
PS neilmcl Perhaps you could point me in the right direction as to where exactly I should look to find the posts you mentioned as after three hours reading through many different threads my two sons were bemoaning the fact that their father was hogging the computer all night ! cheers Trev S-J

Just come back off holiday,lo and behold !, a letter from sky with "do not bend" on the front.Inside was a new card for the HD box (to be installed Thursday)It seems that I will be able to utilise the second Sky+ for my sons`s bedroom after all (although have yet to ring Sky up with regards to installing an "octo" LNB or should I wait for the engineer to ring the night before as he did when fitting 2nd sky+ and then ask him about lnb)
Is this the right way to go about it or perhaps somebody Knows which Dept. at sky I should contact for the "0cto"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom