1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 x B&W750's

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stonedragon, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay this is just a shot in the dark. I have the opportunity to buy 2 yes two 750's at a very good price. Now I was wondering how two of these would stack up against say a single Velodyne or SVS sub. What I heard of them impressed me no end and hence the question and general opinions about this opportunity?

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The 750 is a very impressive sub. It was my opinion that it was slightly limited in extension (this was subjective, no measurements taken but I'd say it gives strong output into the low 20s) but overall the performance was excellent, very detailed, tight and punchy for movies. It's also a lot prettier than an SVS and any problems could be delt with at a local dealer. I haven't heard comparable Velodynes so I can't help you there.

I'd say it depends on how good your price is, how much you care about looks and how much you care about very low extension. 2 x 750 would be more sub than 99.9% of people need. Power wise I would think it would be roughly equalivalent to a PB12Plus/2 (the bigger amps in the 750s being cancelled out by the volume advantage of the SVS). That's an off the top of my head guess though. Drop Tom an email at SVS, he will be able to give you a far more accurate estimate.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    In power terms it's double I believe. In real terms that's not strictly true because when I compared the 750 to the PB-2 Plus the difference in roll-off was huge. Adding another 750 would tip the balance somewhat, but I still don't believe it would compete with the PB-2 Plus in terms of pure extension.

Stonedragon, as a matter of interest what price are you being quoted for the two? The 750 is a stunning sub (really liked the sound of it) but they are expensive. Also how large is your listening room? Doubt you'll need a 2nd if it's small....

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    By power I meant SPL at same THD not Watts Matt :)

The 750 has a 1000W amp IIRC the PB12-Plus/2's is 900W.

5. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Smurfin

The reason I was thinking of two, was because the price would come at just about 2K, which was my budget. Admittedly they are second hand (not by much) and the person has to get rid of them for personal reasons. I listened to them and I was really impressed. The size also has a good WAF, small but suprisingly powerful. As far as my room size is concerned, its about 14 by 12. Yeah I know a single sub would fill the room adequately, but that price is so tempting and some point in the future I may find myself living in a bigger place.

Just another 'quick' question at that kind of money I could go for the ASW850 :devil: .....thoughts?

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    £2k for 2 isn't a great deal. There is one in classifieds now for under £900.

Ask rags about the 850 (£2k would get you one), he replaced his 750 with one and loves it. At £2k you should be compairing the 2 x 750 to a SVS PB12-Ultra/2.

Any of these solutions is MASSIVE overkill for your room. Given your room size i doubt you'd want a huge SVS in there so I'd suggest the single 750 in classifieds would be perfect for you. You can always add another at a later date.

7. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    A single 850 should stomp all over a pair of 750s. Oh and the 850 looks gorgeous as far as subwoofers go:)

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    What do you call a DD12 and a PC Ultra in a 14x7ft room then? :laugh:

Both look positively small compared to the projector anyway. :eek:

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I ran two 750's briefly but gave up on them as I had integration problems. As a result I am of the opinion that your better off getting one good sub rather than two average ones.

However the ASW750 is by no means average - it kept me happy in my room which is 19 X 15 in size (approx) until I felt the urge to upgrade again. People who heard it inc Smurfin and Daneel liked it.

But if you have £2k to spend consider getting a single ASW850, DD10/12, PB2 Ultra etc rather than two subs for £1k each. I can recommend the ASW850 as I have one but I havent heard the DD10/12 pr the PB2 Ultra but im sure given all the owners comments I have read they will sound great as well. If you decide to go for SVS remember that £2k buys you the PB2 Ultra in a wood finish so it should look half decent in your room as well(unless looks are not a factor).

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stonedragon i would get a demo of the subs mentioned before you part with your cash 2k is alot of money and you want to be sure your makeing the right choice ;)

John :)

11. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Just really to second what has been said already. I ran two Rel Storm 3s for a time, but struggled to get them integrated properly given the restraints on positioning.
    However, playing Devils Advocate for a minute, you could always buy the two 750's, try them and then sell one on - that's what I did with my second Storm - bought it on the forums and sold it two months later for £30 less. Quite a cost effective way to try out two subs.

Oh, and £1k each for second hand 750's seems a bit steep

12. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To everybody that has replied thanks a lot. I've been pussy-footing with a decision for a long while and I just want to get it right.

I'm gonna take the advice on going just for a single sub, and will probably settle for the ASW850 as this is the top of the B&W range. One deciding factor is wanting to stop any upgrade-itis, and dosen't it feel good to know that what you've got is the best in a range?

I've heard the 750's and was totally impressed by them. I haven't heard the 850's as yet, but any owners out there (hi rags :) ) care to give me an idea what I'm in for?

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The technical term is "welly" and you will be in for bags of loud welly, deep welly and distortion free clear welly. It is one of the best subwoofers around as confirmed by a magazine review a few months ago that couldn't find anything bad to say about it.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the Technical Term there Ian " Loads of Welly" :D

15. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    For those who's first language is not English.(North of London?) : :devil:

:boring: I believe the term "welly" comes from the action of pressing one's foot on the accelerator of a car. A welly (Wellington Boot) being a poor form of footwear for controlling the car's speed. So It tended to be full throttle or nothing. The former being preferable to the latter in most cases. :boring:

As in: "Give it some welly!". :cool:

Next question? :D

Nimby :clown:

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give you Welly carrying on like that :p

17. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Nimby, I challenge you to try and make a post without smilies? ;)

18. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Stonedragon - as you have already heard the ASW750 I can confirm that the 850 is a significant step up in the welly department :laugh:.

When Smurfin and I gave it a good grilling at stupid SPL levels it coped with everything we through at it including the fish tank scene in Finding Nemo at -4db which honestly made the whole room go beserk (and I was running the sub slightly hot!). I cant remember all the DVD's we went through but it was a heck of a lot over a period of six or so hours and the sub never sounded stetched.

I watched Lord of the Rings TT EE at 2db off reference last weekend with my brother and a couple of his Uni mates (ok I could only manage to watch it for a few minutes at a time at that level, but the others felt the volume level was fine and watched the whole film at -2db !). Honestly the sub didnt flinch. The standout moment for me wasnt some humungous bass scene but the forest keepers (or whatever that big talking tree was called) voice - it just came through so deep and crystal clear. I was lookig forward to it as I had watched the same scene a few days earlier and again it sounded awesome.

However I am clearly biased so please take my words with a pinch of salt. As its a lot of money I would definately recommend you try the other subs available to make your own mind up. There are a number of Velo DD, SVS PB Ultra etc owners about on these forums and you may find those subs to be better - its really all down to personal preference as most of the products at this price range perform pretty well.

19. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rags thanks for the info :thumbsup: . I have to get a hanky to stop me drooling. What suprised me when making enquires about this sub, was how few dealers had them to demo. I live in central London and you would of thought it wouldn't pose a problem to hear it. Not so. I contacted B&W and they gave me the dealers that are meant to stock it, but NO luck as yet :mad: Still, I've got one or two to try as yet and when I do finally get a chance to demo I'll let you know what I think.

20. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Stonedragon,
    Martins Hi-Fi of Norwich have one in stock if you don`t mind a bit of a trek

Regards Dan

21. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stonedargon have you tried Grahams HiFi they stock the Nautilus range from B&W.
    Last time i spoke to them they had the 800 range of subs.

www.grahamshifi.co.uK

22. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As an ASW850 owner I can confidently report what a great unit it is, adding extremely tight and deep bass to the B&W 804s, with which I am using it. It's even better on a set of Nordost Pulsar points which cleans the sound up still further and makes it even easier to follow multiple different bass lines. Be advised, it is a genuine "sub" - by which I mean that there are others out there that will provide more slam but I doubt any of them have the articulation, speed or delicacy to match the effortless depth the 850 musters. The 1k amp seems to go incredibly loud without distortion and the battle scenes in Star Wars Episode 2 reveal "crunch" power that shakes the foundations. Go for it !

If you`re around the Midlands, the Music Matters group stock B&W Nautilus series. That's where I got my 804s, HTM2, SCM1s and ASW850 from. Give Dave Clifford a call at the solihull branch - he's very helpful.