1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 weeks with a Sony HS1 – my thoughts

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Approx. 2 weeks ago I took delivery of a Sony HS-1 after much deliberation of whether this unit or Sony’s up market VW11HT should be the one for me.
    My decision was based on the cost-to-performance ratio, and I promised to post my impressions of the unit after a couple of weeks home use. So, here goes…….

Firstly, I have to say that whilst I consider myself a chap who “knows my onions” when it comes to home cinema, this is my first dip in to the world of projectors.,
    I would not argue with anyone who says LCD comes third in the CRT, DLP, LCD debate, but I went for LCD on cost & convenience grounds.

The HS-1 is cute, and everyone whose seen mine says “I want one of those babies”.
    But for me, I only care about picture quality, where it can sit, and fan noise.

I was initially blown away by the picture quality, and it compared sometimes quite variably to a friends ‘Davis Cinema One Pro’ in an A/B comparison. Better colour, sharper, more detail, lower fan noise. However, there is a pixellated look to the picture which means sitting close to the screen is not a good idea, and it lacks the smooth finish that is available at the (admittedly) much higher price bracket.

If you intend to sit a fair distance from the screen, it’s a bargain. My problem is that I can’t, and I sometimes wish I’d gone for the VW11HT with its 16:9 panel that does not have to be blown up as high to get the same size widescreen picture.

I don’t think the black level is much of an issue. Its really quite good, and whilst I know it can be bettered, I think you’d only see differences in some parts of some films.

It’s quite flexible in its positioning, and I don’t think using the ‘side shot’ feature affects picture quality. The only downer, is that the more side shot correction you use, the smaller the eventual picture is and therefore the bigger the distance between the lense and the screen needs to be.
    The vertical keystone correction also works if you have it angled up or down from below or above the screen, but this leaves a jagged edge to each sides of the picture.
    It’s a desk top design only (it can’t be ceiling mounted), and so the problem is getting it high enough above your head to avoid ‘head shadows’, whilst keeping the downward angle of the unit within the range of its adjustable base. A bit tricky but I managed it!

The fan noise is bearable, certainly much quieter than many, but not as quiet as the 11HT. However, I’ve seen the Yamaha DPX1 (£6.5K I know) and it’s almost silent!
    So, I find myself dreaming of a DPX1 with a 16:9 panel. Oh well!

To sum up, I’m happy with my £1699 bargain. If money grew on trees, I would have bought the VW11HT just for its 16:9 panel. But then it doesn’t, so I think I made the right decision.
    If only I could sit further away from the screen.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Jules

What width screen are you using and from what distance are you watching?

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Jules, Can the side shot feature be used at the same time as keystone? What effect does that have on the picture?

Regards