1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 weeks in with the 9986 & a question!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Basil, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Basil

Basil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After 2 weeks I can say that IMHO the picture quality and overall functionality of this set is superb. I sorted out the 'blueness' by changing the cheap and nasty composite video cable -> scart for a better quality rgb -> scart cable and upgrading the other scarts in the setup (thanks to Jimsan for recommending www.tvcables.co.uk) overall a noticable improvement in quality for a small outlay. I now have settings much more in line with those noted on other threads. The only other comment I have is that I really wish there was a way of changing the backlight settings as whites seem a little bright, and it would perhaps help to darken the blacks?

I do have one interesting issue though. I use a one-for-all I.R sender, as my amp etc. is in a cupboard. When the 9986 is switched on, it seems to transmit a broadband I.R. signal, which is picked up by the sender. This jams any other I.R signals through the sender (i.e. a remote). This is demonstrated by the red led on the sender staying on continuously when the set is on, and only turning off when the set is on standby or off. If I shield the sender from the set, then again no signal is picked up.

At first I thought it was the 'smart lights' which sense movement near the set (using I assumed IR/PIR sensors), to light the control panel on top, I turned this off, but the effect remains.

The really strange thing is, that it only affects the one-for-all sender, remotes otherwise work fine.

If anyone has experienced this, or has a solution/comments etc. I'd be interested! :cool:

2. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basil, I'm afraid I can't help you on that but was wondering which cables you have gone for? Sorry for the diversion but at least it keeps your thread at the top of the list!

Car man

3. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the early versions of the set, this effected even its own remote receiver!
    People complained that the remote control was very insensitive.
    Rework was done (also to fix other problems) and this disappeared.
    Do you have a reworked set? Is the firmware version 2.x?

4. Basil

Basil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Car Man, I actually bought S-video cables (my amp switches them as RGB)
    and the cheaper ones from tvcables - these are the ones: http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/SC301.html
    only £8 each, and all the right words - reason for the cheaper ones is that I'l be upgrading the other components over the next few months, and will use the component inputs on the amp then, so new cable time again.....

My existing kit (sat/dvd etc.) only has scart & RGB. I wouldn't upgrade just to get component outputs, but as these days most decent kit has them, I should use them.

As my amp is able to handle just about anything (other than hdmi/dvi) I bought a better :confused: - more expensive cable:
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/137-500.html
    Still not that expensive though!
    Again using RGB, as the 9986 doesn’t accept S-VHS other than the side input (that I know of?)

If anyone has any info on the IR flooding though - I'd still be interested!

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basil re: your initial query about the backlight - all you can do is keep Contrast no higher than 66, this is as low as the backlight goes, above this (from 67 onwards) it gets brighter, but below 66 it doesn't get any darker (even though the contrast reduces). If you connect your DVD using DVI-DVI (as I have) you may notice softer whites - partly because it requires a lower Brightness setting (around 35) and partly because you get less picture processing. This is based on my experience with a Denon 1910 into a 37PF9986.

6. Basil

Basil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rob, I have a 2.0 firmware version, as for being re-worked I'm not sure how I'd find that out, it should be a brand new set. Maybe I should contact Philips?

Alan, thanks for that, it explains why there is a 'ramping up' effect in the mid 60's. I plan on changing my DVD later this year, as my current unit is getting on for 6 years old, and the DVI output, progressive scan and DTS would be very nice

Does anyone know how to get into service mode, and where I could fond a service manual? - I'm wondering if it may help with either one of these questions?

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Service Menu is accessed by entering 062596 then key i+.

It is not possible to further adjust the backlight in here, although reducing the Luma Gain setting to 0 does have this effect on RF signals. There is lots of further facilities in here, but none that I felt made a significant difference.

Incidentally, I think that the v2.0 sets are modified v1.3's that were already in the UK. Nothing wrong with them....

Jimmy

Jimmy

8. Basil

Basil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimsan, as you say not a lot of additional useful stuff in there (though plenty of oppertuinity to muck things up!).
    I am actually very happy with the display, I guess it's all too easy to get carried away with the settings game!

Now if I can just track down the IR problem..........

9. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Basil

I believe your IR problem is down to the Ambilight. You can check this by turning it off temporarily - easiest way is to use the dedicated button on the remote. See if the problem goes away - if it does then voila. You then need to reposition your IR sender away from the glare of the Ambilight.

Hope this helps.

Alan

10. Basil

Basil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alan - I hadn't considered that one!
    :lesson: Rule one, always start from 1st principles!

After a little more experimentation, the IR 'flood zone' seems to be caused by both the ambilight and the smart light sensors. It also seems that even if the smart light is off in the menu, it still emits IR. Turning the option off in the service menu stops this. If I then turn off the ambilight, all is well! The sender unit has now been re-positioned out of the way, so I can use ambilight which I really missed (amazing how much it adds to the viewing experiance), though the smart light has to remain off (not really a hardship at all)

I'm quite surprised that the ambilight has such a high IR emission, this must be a side effect of the LED's used?