2 week industrial basic electrical course .....

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... doing one through my employers in a couple of weeks , just wondering if anyone has done one or indeed knows what i can expect to be doing :)

Tray work, conduit forming, trunking, armoured cable glanding, cable sizing, cable routing etc etc etc

Was an Industrial electrician/foreman for years but not really sure what they will want to cover and how in-depth they will want to go but these are the bread and butter things that an Industrial electrician tends to do.

On the other hand they may just decide to teach you how to make tea and coffee as that is the most important thing that any apprentice should learn:D

On the other hand they may just decide to teach you how to make tea and coffee as that is the most important thing that any apprentice should learn

Spot on :D

Good question actually and I'll be interested to know the answer (I'm not a spark) :smashin:

Given that you can apparently learn to be a plumber in 6 weeks :rolleyes:, it might even go further than that.

Tbf, it does say Basic in the title.

I remember as part of my Apprenticeship doing a similar thing.

I don't remember a single thing that I learned, as I already knew it.
We had half a day on how to wire a plug correctly, for example :laugh:

But then it was over 30 years ago, when they used to do things properly.
And I was only 16 :)

Fwiw, I'm a pipefitter and sparks are seen as the enemy to a certain extent ;)
They always get the priority these days, because most M/E companies are run by sparks who seem to think it's easier to re-route a steel pipe as opposed to a few bits of wire.
(Dons flame-proof coat :laugh:)

They always get the priority these days, because most M/E companies are run by sparks who seem to think it's easier to re-route a steel pipe as opposed to a few bits of wire.

Hahaha ,why is that,everyjob i used to go on mechanical drawings would be on revison one whilst everybody else would be working with upto date drawings,dont envy guys working on industrial/commercial sites,takes bloody ages to get anywhere and get work done,plus the elf and safety hitlers..:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

:spam: you little liar you!

bloody pipefitters always get priority, and if by some small chance we manage to get into an area before them (usually because they haven't used there amount of Chat hours in a day :devil:) we end up having to redo what we have done as the pipefitters don't know how to read there own blooming drawings :D

Anyway isn't a pipefitter just an electrician who's had a lobotomy :devil::p

:spam: you little liar you!

bloody pipefitters always get priority, and if by some small chance we manage to get into an area before them (usually because they haven't used there amount of Chat hours in a day :devil:) we end up having to redo what we have done as the pipefitters don't know how to read there own blooming drawings :D

Anyway isn't a pipefitter just an electrician who's had a lobotomy :devil::p

i thought a pipefitter was a plumber with his brains kicked in:D

and electricians get priority as the cream always rises to the top;)

i thought a pipefitter was a plumber with his brains kicked in

Reminds me of a joke that was often told when I worked at BNFL Sellafield.

The Chief Engineer calls three of his teams together and says that he wants to see how ingenious they are. So he gives each of the teams two very large ball bearings and says they have got 24 hours to show him something very clever.

The next day he calls them together to present what they have done.

First the Electrical Engineers
"We managed to induce large equal and opposite charges on the ball bearings so that one will float above the other"

The Chief Engineer is very impressed and moves onto the Mechanical Engineers
"We have managed to create a platform so that one bearing will balance on the other and automatically compensates for vibrations, movement and wind"

The Chief Engineer is very pleased and moves onto the Pipe Fitters
"Well, erm, we lost one and broke the other"

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
good grief what have i started :laugh:

Tray work, conduit forming, trunking, armoured cable glanding, cable sizing, cable routing etc etc etc

Was an Industrial electrician/foreman for years but not really sure what they will want to cover and how in-depth they will want to go but these are the bread and butter things that an Industrial electrician tends to do.

On the other hand they may just decide to teach you how to make tea and coffee as that is the most important thing that any apprentice should learn:D

this is what i cant work out as i am a Mech Fitter by trade , so no need to do tray work or anything like that , i can already at 42 y/o work out the tea and coffee thankyou :laugh:

Spot on :D

Good question actually and I'll be interested to know the answer (I'm not a spark) :smashin:

Given that you can apparently learn to be a plumber in 6 weeks :rolleyes:, it might even go further than that.

time will tell .....

Industrial electricians course in 2 weeks!:rotfl:

Good luck with that!

now now bitch i did say basic electrical ................

so , you are one step beneath me as i am a Mech Fitter ( that should get things fizzing :eek: ) :hiya:

good grief what have i started

I love this inter-trade banter :smashin:

so , you are one step beneath me as i am a Mech Fitter ( that should get things fizzing )

:D

Nice try, but I've done mechy fitting too :p
A gaffer at a major engineering/machine installation company, where I was previously a foreman, wants me to start for him, as it happens.
It's not a bad job, but I just prefer the pipework.

Anyway, let's get back to the banter.

Sparks = Advanced cable pullers :devil:

Anyone completed the circuit yet? :)

are you talking about the oldest trade in the world, practised mainly by the fairer sex?

he is on about plasterers and brickies ...........

the curse of many a skilled trade , now that should really get the fire going :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

please don't drag guest5234 into this thread... :D

2week electrical course..... I am sceptical.

My apprenticeship was only a 4 year course though.

why are you on it? are your company looking to cut out using sparks for your work?

The problem with 2 weeks courses is this:
06199328.jpg

790d7ea6.jpg

Yep thats a socket on a ring main in a PRIMARY school that they have cut into a cable and twisted the L and N cables without even crimping!!!! Oh they also just cut the earth wire out.... That was their maintenance man who has done "a course"

Problem is these short courses do not teach you why you do these things. Even the new apprentices now are not taught half the stuff (pyro etc etc) its rubbish.

By the way not saying you'll be bad paul just giving an example of an off the shelf course :)

Needless to say that circuit was D/C immediately during my test

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom