1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 way or full range!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fatmatt, Mar 23, 2003.

1. fatmatt

fatmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all
    I am looking to buy a set of cheap 5.1 speakers. Having looked into it I am slightly confused. I was under the impression that 2 way speakers would be better than full range, but the price doesn't allways reflect this. Is there a reason for this.
    An example is the Yamaha NSP-220 speaker package at a cost of £129 are 2 way sattelites and the sony sa- ve range costing up to £300 are full range. Can anyone advise me or reccomend any speaker packages. I dont really want to spend more than £150 at this stage.
    I realise that you get what you pay for, but having spent nearly £700 on a yam RD630 reciver and mission fs/AV 2 speakers which i sold a week later for £100 less, that i cant afford it. And although the above sounded great it didn,t sound £700 great.
    My new reciever is a pioneer vsxc 100( size being a consideration.)
    Any help / advice gratefully recieved.
    :confused:

2. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have had a look at both the systems you have outlined and the usuall can of worms needs opening.

As I understand it "Full Range" means a system that can reproduce sound from 20Hz to 20kHz or there abouts.

The Sony claims Frequency range: 24-40,000 Hz

The Yamaha Front, rear and centre: 140 - 27,000 Hz
    Subwoofer: 30 - 200 Hz

So in essence both systems can be thought of full range.

As for two way, this as I understand it is a loudspeaker with a woofer and tweeter and a crossover seperating the signal to go two ways. By the look at the two systems they are both two way systems.

The price difference may be due to the Sony having a much higher power handling capability.

The usuall can of worms I mentioned above is that the above frequency specification that are given do not give the SPL as a transfer function eg. are they -3dB points or What?

3. fatmatt

fatmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Dan,
    but I am afraid you have confused me even more. Like I said in my post I thought full range meant only 1 cone, and 2 way meant 2. Can the frequency range not be even bigger than the 2 speakers I was talking about?:confused: :confused:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Full range means that they handle the full spectrum of sound irrespective of the number of speaker "cones" that it takes to do this.

My M&K speakers are two way as they have two speaker drivers but they are not full range as the official bottom end is only 80Hz

5. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think after all is said and done the Sony system is more capable than the Yamaha.

Like Ian says full range means the speakers must reproduce the whole spectrum irrespective of being 1, 2 or 3 way. In reality both the Sony and the Yamaha sats can not be considered full range without the sub woofer.

So as I see it, both the Yamaha and the Sony sats are 2 way but not full range. They are only full range with the sub woofer connected. The Sony looks like it has a better spec. but neither system give a reference measurement to guide us by.

Lets forget the speaker systems we were discussing and try clear a few points for you.

Full Range:- Is supposed to be what the human ear can hear and as a rule of thumb this is 20Hz to 20kHz (I'm 42 and won,t hear above 16kHz). No one single speaker can produce this frequency spectrum

Two Way: As previously mentioned, the sats are two way as they have a woofer and a tweeter in the same cabinet, coupled to a crossover that splits signal between the tweeter and woofer.

The sats are so small they are limited in the lower frequency spectrum to about 140Hz so they are accompanied by a sub woofer to fill in the the lower end down to 30Hz

Hopefully this make things a bit clearer.

6. fatmatt

fatmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, its becoming clearer all the time.
    if anyone has any other recommendations for speaker packages please feel free to let me know. They have to be small sattelites and absolute tops that I want to spend is £200.