2 Way diverter for PC speaker surround system.

wozzza

Novice Member
I'm sure someone will find this question easy to answer. I have two PC's in my room and one 7.1 surround system. I want to be able to keep both pc's plugged in to the sound system and be able to have some sort of switch to divert the input from one pc to the other. I don't intend to want both pcs outputting to the sound system at the same time, however both pc's may well be powered up at the same time.

The sound system has 3 3.5 cables in the back of the pc so the switch would have to divert all three outputs. I'd rather it be a plug in option rather than trying to cut and strip plugs off the system.

I'm told splitters are not a good idea if both pc's are powered on as the pc would not only be sending audio to the speaker system but also to the sound card of the other pc,,, not good.

Any ideas?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum but I thought it was the closest I could get to my question.

Thanks

John7

Do the PC's have Optical (TOSLink) OUTPUTS and the the sound system an Optical (TOSLink) INPUT?

wozzza

Novice Member
I'll correct myself, its 4 cables, not 3 that go to the back of the pc. Also I have no toslink connections, all analogue

Last edited:

John7

Which one does????

Some sound cards "hide" their optical output inside one of the output jack sockets - they are dual output. Might be worth checking as I think optical switching is the only off the shelf solution for your requirement. I'm not aware of a triple input x 2 switcher for PC multichannel sound.....

John7

No, the Multichannel outputs from the sound card(s) are outputting a digital signal, which is decoded by your speaker system, so an analogue switcher will not work.

Also, your speaker system has no other inputs, other than an analogue stereo input on the control unit. If you're happy with stereo from one PC, you could connect one to that input, the other PC to the digital inputs.

wozzza

Novice Member
You lost me there, my idea was to take out the 4 male 3.5 from the pc currently using the sound system and individually switch them. 4 plugs, 4 switches to either 1 pc or the other. Have a look at my scribble if you can understand it :)

Attachments

• CreativeInspireT7700UsersManual343467.847047377.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 36-116-140-03.jpg
    36-116-140-03.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-6433.jpg
    IMG-6433.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 12

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Your speaker system lacks any audio processing so the decoding of the dolby signal has to be undertaken by the Source device which then presents six analogue channels to the Speaker system.

You could use 3 x stereo analogue switch units to 'toggle' between PC1 and PC2 - you would need to ensure all three switch units are toggled between Source 1 and 2.

There are larger switch units you could use to 'simpify' the switching but the budget would take a jump.

Joe

wozzza

Novice Member
I think I'll resort to buying 8 male to female 3.5 4 port cables and manually swap with them laying them on the desktop. I'll have to colour code them. Cheapest option :cool: but a bit messy :-(

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Keep the Vol down or preferable the Amp Off when swapping over the cables.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom