2 Way Digital audio Optical Splitter/Adaptor

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by chrisp, Jan 17, 2008.

1. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone help clarify something for me please?

I recently bought one of the above from eBay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Way-Optical-Digital-Audio-Cable-Lead-Splitter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ140198709677QQihZ004QQcategoryZ295QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem- this is from same seller.

I have connected my Humax PVR & Panasonic DVDR to my AEG home cinema amplifier but I had a problem with the sound breaking up which I traced to the single (I assume output) connector. By moving the cable around I could get the sound to stabilize. I confident it's not the cable as it's one I've been using for some weeks to connect my DVDR to the amplifier for 5.1 sound when playing DVDs.

My query is whether the unit is intended to pass audio output from two devices e.g PVR & DVDR to a single input to the amplifier (so I can use the amplifier with both, but not at the same time), or the other way around i.e one input and two outputs.

The reason for my query is that having had the sound issue I have reread the auction and it says: The optical splitter allows you to send the optical signal to two receivers or recorders & 1 input socket and 2 output sockets
    For example a DVD player and DVD recorder can use the the same single amp input with this device

This seems rather contradictary. I have also seen a similar item on sale at Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=33712&doy=17m1 and in the FAQ it says:

Q) Ok what can I buy to allow me to connect my DVD player and Sky box to my amp both optically at the same time. ie my amp only has one optical in ?
    A) This splitter allows two inputs to one output (assuming both are optical in the first place) a better option for your requirement would be order code L34AK 3-way Toslink switch.

Q) Is this what I need to allow connection of two devices to one amp?
    A) No this is one input i.e source to two outputs

I'm a bit concerned that I'm using the splitter in the wrong way and that it might damage one or more of my components.

Thanks

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    The specs on both of those links list the same thing :

1 input socket and 2 output sockets

So it is not designed to be used in the way you are using it.

Anything described as a splitter is usually built to take one signal and split it not take two signals and choose between them.

The switch that is mentioned on the Maplin site is designed to do what you want, take multiple inputs and switch them to a single output.

3. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Mark.

I obviously misread the auction description and just took in the image. It was only £5.98 with delivery so not massively expensive but a pity I didn't check with Maplin first.

With the Maplin version (L69BA TOS Splitter ) they suggest in the FAQ to use the L34AK 3-Way TosLink Switch.This is £14.99 and in the Overview it states • Three optical inputs to one optical output

The L69BA TOS Splitter @ £6.99 by comparison states • One TOSlink input to two TOSlink outputs which looks like what I already have, or am I missing something?

So it looks as if I will have to get the L34AK 3-Way TosLink Switch to achieve what I want.

I still have the splitter connected into my system and I used it last night and it worked even though from what you say it was signalling in the wrong direction? Could this have accounted for the sound problem I had initially?

Thanks

Chris

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Keep focused on splitter = 1 input to n outputs, switch = n inputs to one output.

Just to confuse things you can get a matrix switch which can handle n inputs to n outputs but that is another level beyond what you are looking for :)

Yes, using the splitter the wrong way around could deliver unpredictable results including quality problems or drop-outs.

5. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

Have been browsing around some more and came across this USA auction for what looks like the same maplin switch but about £6.70 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-way-optical-TOS-link-selector-switch-switcher-box_W0QQitemZ350013928694QQihZ022QQcategoryZ295QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I then came across this UK auction http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-way-optical-TOS-link-selector-switch-switcher-box_W0QQitemZ350013928694QQihZ022QQcategoryZ295QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem which again looks the same as Maplin but only half the price at £7.77.

Is the latter the right thing?

Only negative I can think off, apart from having to buy again, is that I will need to switch the inputs to the device I want to connect to the amp but I suppose I can live with that.

PS Have seen another on eBay auction http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Way-Optical...4600591QQihZ008QQcategoryZ96942QQcmdZViewItem that it's advisable to use 6mm cables with a switcher , hope the ones I bought are OK or it's more expense.

6. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Both of those links appear to be for the same item?

7. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, sorry to e anuisance but have just updated my post with the following info.

PS Have seen another on eBay auction http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Way-Optical...4600591QQihZ008QQcategoryZ96942QQcmdZViewItem that it's advisable to use 6mm cables with a switcher. I think the ones I bought are 5mm so hope they are OK or it's more expense.

Think I will go ahead and get the UK auction one unless you can think of a reason why not.

Thanks again

Chris

8. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    5mm should be fine, when they say not to use thin cables I suspect they are referring to the cheap 2mm cables that used to be shipped with a lot of devices.

9. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

Just a quick update to say that I found the same thing on another eBay auction cheaper (£6.93 GBP incl delivery) from kenable_ltd. Made by Soundlab and looks exactly like the Maplin version.

Arrived this morning, only bought it at 2;45pm yesterday, and have plugged all the cables in and it seems to work OK, so far no sound distortion like I had before.

Just out of curiousity, when I press the sides of the selector switch to choose which input device I want I get a red indicator (presumably from the optic cable) on the unit on the switch position for the device selected but once I've selected and released I don't get anything, although as I say all seems to be well. is this normal?

Thanks

10. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Sounds OK to me.