2 Virgin V6 Tivo boxes: streaming recordings not possible?

djc45

Established Member
Reaction score
Just off the phone with the Virgin call centre enquiring about adding a second V6 Tivo to my account. Was quoted:

£99 fee for V6 plus £20 installation, then £7.50 a month for 2nd box, minimum 12 months.

However when I asked about playing recordings from one box on the other over the network, (streaming). I was told that it was not possible with V6 on Virgin. I asked if she was sure as I thought it was possible, she again confirmed that there was no way to do that, not supported, and suggested I had to set the same season passes on both boxes as this was the only way to get what I wanted.

Can someone please confirm that I have not gone mad, and did read that this function was available. Does anyone have it working? I was wanting to use it across a wired network.

Thanks

Duncan

That seems a little strange. I have the older VM TiVo box in the main bedroom and can stream recordings wirelessly across my network over to the V6 box in the living room. Not tried it the other way, have no reason to do so.

I wonder what’s different about going V6 to V6 over a network...?

It is possible if both boxes are connected up to your network. You can access and play recorded content stored on one box via the other box as long as the channel and or the programmes makers have allowed this within the rights to air deal they have with Virgin. Most content has no resrictions, but some content does.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system.../Watching-recordings-on-another-Virgin-TV-box

You will however need a multiroom subscription:
Watch your favourite TV in any room with multi-room | Virgin Media

Virgin Media multi-room
You can get up to five additional set-top boxes with Virgin Media multi-room. These allow you to watch all the channels you have as part of your Virgin TV subscription, as well as on-demand shows and apps. The only caveat is your extra box and other telly must support your subscription – so you'll need a HD box and HD telly to watch HD channels.

Customers get a second Virgin TV V6 box for free. Those with the Full House, Mix and Player bundles can get an additional V6 box for £49.95 plus a £20 activation fee, plus a £7.50 a month subscription.

Virgin's V6 box can record six shows while you watch a seventh. With 1TB of storage, you can record up to 500 hours of shows in SD or 100 hours in HD. Customers who only take TV from Virgin Media (no phone line or broadband) get a 500GB Tivo box included with their package and can add another Tivo box for a £49.95 installation charge plus £7.50 a month subscription. The Tivo 500GB box allows customers to record up to three channels, while watching a fourth pre-recorded program.

You'll need to either physically connect your additional boxes via an ethernet cable to your Virgin Hub router, or to one another. If this isn't possible, you may need a Powerline adapter which uses the electrical wiring in your home to carry a broadband signal throughout the house. This effectively, beyond the power cables, gives you a wireless multiroom solution.
How much is multiroom from Virgin, Sky, BT & TalkTalk? | Extra box costs & installation

Multi-room & home networking

This is where the V6 beats Sky Q hands-down. While Sky makes it a costly feature that uses mini set-top boxes that feed off a ‘slave’ hub, Virgin Media has made the V6 networkable with other V6's and the old TiVo box.

In our test we used Powerline, which worked without any fuss at all; the old TiVo’s recordings can be accessed on the V6’s menus very easily (you can rename the old box ‘playroom’ and suchlike). Even if you never use it to watch TV, it can act as a recording hub. And you can install up to six V6’s if you so wish. It's the standout feature of the V6 by far.
Virgin TV V6 TiVo box: EPG, Multi-room, Performance & 4K | TechRadar

Last edited:
That seems a little strange. I have the older VM TiVo box in the main bedroom and can stream recordings wirelessly across my network over to the V6 box in the living room. Not tried it the other way, have no reason to do so.

I wonder what’s different about going V6 to V6 over a network...?

The V6 has no inbuilt modem and has to be connected to your home network in order for it to be able to access the internet for streaming and on demand services. It would also obviosly need access to your home network in order to communicate with other boxes in your home in order to access and play the content recorded and stored on the other boxes.

Note that the TiVo you have will be hardwired to you router/SuperHub because unlike the V6 it doesn't include wireless networking. Only the V6 includes WiFi. Your TiVo is wired to your Superhub and the SuperHub is wirelessly connected to your V6.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom