1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 video cards in 1 pc?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ilkand, Oct 23, 2004.

1. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can I add another graphics card to my pc. If so, how do I specify which apps use which card? Does it matter about make of card?

Cheers
    Andy

P.S. how do i search for two or 2?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't think this is possible, at least if it is I don't know how the PC would boot because they'd share real-mode memory addresses and the BIOS would probably get awefully confused. Unlike sound cards for example, you can't configure them into different I/O space.

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'm sure it is possible, i seem to recall my mate having 3 in his PC at one point, and this was back in the win 98 days, and i'm also sure i've seen PCs running an AGP and PCI cards. Try a £5 pci card and see what happens?

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    You can definitely run with two video cards ( an AGP and a PCI card for example ) but unless you are planning on running more than two monitors at differing resolutions ( even then this is tricky depending on the apps you want to run) most AGP cards come with a dual output these days *dual dvi or dvi and VGA)

You see mad flight simulator fans occasionally running with half a dozen screens to reconstruct a aircraft cockpit.

5. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the reason I ask is that I have a tft, a crt projector and two large crt monitors that i use at different times. A pain to keep swapping cables. Any good switchers about?

thanks so far,
    Andy

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :oops: .. forgot that PCI and AGP use different resources.

7. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What about pci-e and agp, then? or 2 pci-e cards?

Is pci-e just another agp type? :confused:

thankyou
    Andy

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    pci-e is a newer type of pci which has enough bandwidth to replace the need for agp. So in the future you'll likely not get the differentiation between having an AGP slot and PCI slots they will all be PCI-E. Your graphics card will slot in to any of the PCI-E slots just like any other card.

9. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  10. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mike,
    thanks for the link. That could be a solution. Know anything about what loss of quality I can expect?

Mr.D,
    so does that mean my existing Agp card will fit inthe x1 pci-e slots or am I barking up the wrong tree?

cheers
    Andy

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    totally barking. PCI-E and AGP are incompatible just as PCI and AGP are.

12. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So there's just no way to get two decent quality video cards in 1 pc. (had an ati 9000 pci card once and it was very slow).
    Got it now, thanks. :blush:

13. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i am trying to do just this atm

i am using a nvidia AGP card, and am going to get a fx5200 PCI card, not 6800 speed, but should play games fine. Ill then get a decent 6600/6800 for the agp and replace my old quadro2mx. this will give me 2 DVI and 2 VGA outputs for 3 screens and a HS50 (i think)

ill let you know how i get on, i think the thing to be careful of is to get similar chipset cards, dont get a nvidia PCI, and a radeon AGP

Stu

14. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Maybe with a new motherboard:

SLI - This joins two cards (pci-e) together to give better performance. Don't know if you can use the two cards as seperate adapters though or if they have to be used as if it's one card.

15. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    stuthemong

let me know how you get on, please. Is a fx5200 PCI card good enough for games, then?

zoolap

had a look at the sli stuff, looks cool, but they only mention 2 cards to 1 pc all the time, so not sure yet if its any use.

Cheers
    Andy

16. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ilkand.

i shall do. I took a oldskool ati mach II 3d home yesturday, and it wouldnt "start" calimed win XP - TBH the card is really old, and may be dead, but it wasnt ideal that it didnt fire up :(

I am still trying to find a dual head PCI 5200 (pref. with 1 DVI out) anywhere in stock at a reasnable (<£50) price. If you see any, please shout. Currently i am trawling ebay :)

Yours,

stu

EDIT: the 5200 should be *Ok* for games, its not going to compete with a 9800 pro or the newer boys, but it is dx9 compatible, and i guess you can expect 20 fps with decent settings on modern games. its no beast, thats a certainty :)

17. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    update!

right, got a pny 5200 today. dropped it in. upset about the fan noise, and couldnt get it to work :(

was just about to throw toys out of pram, when i figured "ill just check the bios!"

had a look, switched from VGA start mode AGP/PCI to PCI/AGP - so i forced the PCI to fire up at startup, then XP finds teh AGP on load. No idea why it didnt work the other way around, but now, i have a lovely 3840x1024 desktop. ahhhhh

:)

havent tried playing any games yet, i have no idea how to select which monitor they play off????? (other than just primary!)

18. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A 3840x1024 desktop - brilliant.

I have a pci ati card on the go on ebay, so hope to be trying the same soon. Did you have any trouble with versions of DirectX. Do you have the latest on?

Andy

19. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230

This was more than likely in the days of Voodoo 2,where you had your main video card in your AGP slot,and then 2 X Voodoo 2 cards linked together in a SLI configuration,with the 2D card passing through the two V2 cards - the idea being the 2D card handled the desktop,and all 2D graphics,and the Voodoo 2 cards handled 3D - each card processing a alternate line on the screen,which in theory was supposed to double 3D performance.

20. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ilkand, im not going to lie, its not been as simple as installing a noraml bit of hardware on XP for some reason, playing around with bios, trying to get a functioning set of drivers etc etc... actually, i messed about with it last night, and im down to one monotor now - so ill have to tweak it again, and learn not to make the PCI my primary adaptor now :)

i think my AGP card has a hardware/deep software fault though, even prior to getting the last card in, 30% of the time teh AGP card would fail to load, and defauillt drivers would kick in - this is all after a horrific fight with some spyware. I just got my 250gig lacie drive though, so i can do a full reformat ASAP. hopefully the video drivers will behave as expected after a format.

yours, stu.