2 TVs to play same source, one receiver and a bunch of speakers.

UxbridgeChris

Novice Member
Reaction score
Imagine a room 40’ long. 2 TVs at opposite ends of the room. ( facing each Other) Both TVs will have front speakers and a center channel. I want both TVs to play the same video source and speakers the same audio. Fed from 1 receiver between them. How do I split the audio and video? Haven’t purchased receiver yet. I am not sure if there are receivers that have 2 HDMI outputs or do I used a HDMI splitter? For audio, do I used a speaker selector switch or just wire speakers in series, or parallel? Thanks.

Most receivers nowadays have two HDMI outputs, so that's the video side taken care of.

Many also have a "second zone" capability, but I think in most cases that's limited to stereo.
Here's an example: Multi Zone Application

Could I ask what the purposes of the room and two zones are? It might give people a better idea of how to help you.

Last edited:
long rectangle room. TV at either end. Small one over the bar, larger main tv at the other end. When we have people over for sporting events, I want both tvs going with same source.

Your easiest option would be to forget the centre channel for the small TV end and use the zone function that you get on virtually all receivers these days... otherwise you'd be looking at using two amps.

You'd only get stereo at the bar end of the room, but it's the simplest solution.

Last edited:
Thank you. I’ve seen some speaker selector switches where you can have multiple speakers turned on at the same time. That would work, no?

Speaker select switches are normally used for:

Connecting two or more sources to the same speakers.
..or..
Sending an amp's output to different speakers, but usually only one set at a time.
You see switches like this in car stereo shops so you can quickly a/b compare speakers.

Each amplifier channel is designed to feed only one speaker at a time, if you sent the left, right and centre to two sets of speakers simultaneously it wouldn't be good for the amp or the speakers unless you're prepared to carefully match speaker ohms.

Also with a room that size you might have to factor in cable resistance. It's a minefield :p

This explains it better than I can, but it's a real faff and limits your choice of speakers.

Another option is to take the preamp outputs from your receiver and send them to a distribution amp... but again, they're often designed for stereo sources to feed multiple pairs of speakers.

Keeping everything 'in sync' can be tricky when you start to use multiple audio Zones.

Most AVR's have an all speaker 'stereo' mode which will work fine for two TV's.

How will you use the system when you are not in 'Sports Bar' mode?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom