• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2 Tribes..

• Thread starter Deleted member 24354
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24354

Having played BF since BF2 launched on the PC I have noticed over the last few years how the game has fallen into two camps of players. There is the old school, run around shoot lots, kill lots and hopefully die less, these players are generally team players. Then there is the creepy al-Qaeda corner campers, REMF's, back of the map snipers, edge of map scavengers and whole clans who use an exploit just to boost their k/d ratios. These players seem to be growing in numbers and sadly Dice seems to be pandering to this new class of bottom feeder. At the moment BF4 is just about hanging in as a tactical game, but the shift towards being nothing more than a twitch based shooter is approaching. I think that the market is in dire need of a new tactical combat game, but I don't think that either Dice or EA are going to be the company to do it, their model seems to be focused on creating twitch shooters, period.
I have been playing a lot of TDM of late and it mazes me how many sub level 10 players have everything unlocked, great for EAs revenue, but sh*tty for all of those of us who grind to get our unlocks, once again demonstrating that EA don't give two hoots about gamers who invest time in their products, only the ones with their daddy's credit card.
I really do wonder if I will buy BF5, if I do it will be to play with my AVF and THCC friends, certainly not because I am excited for the next underwhelming saga of what once was a great game.

meweavy

Distinguished Member
Let's be honest unless there is some amazing shooter out in the next year or so then maybe bf will be the only shooter we have.
Cod don't count as a decent shooter and I can't think of another shooter to take bf on.
I'm hoping destiny will have a decent online.
Edit star wars battlefront hopefully will be good,but considering it's made by ea and dice than I expect we will see the same bug ridden rubber banding hit marker problems we have with bf.

Oswald

The thing is that the teams who play tactically (work together, use/kill vehicles, capture flags, etc) are the ones who tend to win the games. Hopefully those other guys will begin to realise this! :)

sinistro

Having played BF since BF2 launched on the PC I have noticed over the last few years how the game has fallen into two camps of players. There is the old school, run around shoot lots, kill lots and hopefully die less, these players are generally team players. Then there is the creepy al-Qaeda corner campers, REMF's, back of the map snipers, edge of map scavengers and whole clans who use an exploit just to boost their k/d ratios. These players seem to be growing in numbers and sadly Dice seems to be pandering to this new class of bottom feeder. At the moment BF4 is just about hanging in as a tactical game, but the shift towards being nothing more than a twitch based shooter is approaching. I think that the market is in dire need of a new tactical combat game, but I don't think that either Dice or EA are going to be the company to do it, their model seems to be focused on creating twitch shooters, period.
I have been playing a lot of TDM of late and it mazes me how many sub level 10 players have everything unlocked, great for EAs revenue, but poopty for all of those of us who grind to get our unlocks, once again demonstrating that EA don't give two hoots about gamers who invest time in their products, only the ones with their daddy's credit card.
I really do wonder if I will buy BF5, if I do it will be to play with my AVF and THCC friends, certainly not because I am excited for the next underwhelming saga of what once was a great game.

Those ''old school, run around shoot lots, kill lots and hopefully die less'' are the ones why I stopped playing and buying cod. Hot headed cowboys in my opinion.

Bf4 is more tactical than that and its true that the team that plays as team mostly wins does not mean that those ''creepy al-Qaeda players'' aint team players.

I play snipper when I feel for it as I like to shot those running around shooting a lot combows. I can hear them scream with anger when I catch them with a one shot kill when they running and jumping around.
Then other days I like engineer, killing tanks and choppers.

But even that I dont team up always does not mean I dont help my team win.

Last edited:

PaulieW

The game has been dumbed down and jazzed up to attract the bawldybawz away from COD. Give me the simplicity of Bad Company 2 over the bloated monstrosity that has emerged from Dice in the form of BF4.

Dice has in many ways become a victim of its own sucess. It made quality games that were an alternative to twitch shooters and it had a sizeable core group of players. Now EA expects them to push out BF games annually so they can attempt to crack the enormous commercial success of COD. Sadly, I can only see BF getting worse with each iteration.

We shouldn't be playing on test servers 6 months after the game release so they can work out the best server configuration. Hell! the next game will be churned out in a few months time.

Last edited:

sykotik

Distinguished Member
will bf5 be out this year ?
i was wounding why we were getting all dlc's in such a sort space of time , compared to bf3 where there every 3 or 4 months apart ,

i don't think a lot of people know how to play this ,
apart from you lot , it's not very often i come across randoms playing as a squad or as a team
but saying that i was in a game the other night and all 5 of us "randoms" played as we should do , and played well which was good .....

D

Deleted member 24354

Bf4 is more tactical than that and its true that the team that plays as team mostly wins does not mean that those ''creepy al-Qaeda players'' aint team players.
That is where we will agree to disagree. Corner campers do little or nothing to benefit their team, their sole interest is improve their own stats. IMHO this game would be so much better without the dumb stats, all they do is encourage the bottom feeders.

Oh and Sinistro, it maybe fun to plink a few run-around-sallys, but maybe as a sniper you could be really constructive and maybe play as a recon in squad. Find a good hide and spot and shout out the targets for your team, you wont get many kills, but it is a much more useful role and your team will appreciate you as a sniper much more and when you do pull the trigger make sure its a saviour kill.

Paulie I agree with you 100%. Sadly the whole gaming industry seems to be moving towards the lowest common denominator, dumbing down and blinging up everything for the sake of the infinitely selfish and mortally stupid. The most fun we had was BC2, its simplicity was its beauty. Maybe we will get BC3 (no more knub-heads lying prone) and once more we will go back to the beautiful game.

PlaybookHero

Well I played recon and have 1500 carbine kills so it isn't really that black and white. Snipers have their place in the game so I don't see why some people are classing them as a waste of space.

Randoms will always be rubbish.. Support that don't drop ammo, medics who don't revive you blah blah blah. If you are a veteran to bf none of this should be a surprise to you.

D

Deleted member 24354

Because 90% of the snipers in this game are ego-centric kill-whoring dweebs who have little interest in benefiting their team and hide behind the pretense that being a REMF is somehow contributing to the capture of the objective, whereas in reality they are mostly taking up a slot that somebody who wants to play the objective could be using. Their sole interest is boosting their k/d. If you disagree please explain how having 5+ snipers at your spawn is contributing to capturing objectives, which unfortunately is not an uncommon sight these days.

PlaybookHero

If people want to play like that it is up to them. Change squads and ignore them? I really don't see the problem. Its 32 per team, a few snipers won't decide a round. If all the snipers are on your team change team or find a different server.

I find wallys that park their armour off the map and snipe with them more annoying personally. Or people that hide in dark corners with shotguns :)

Last edited:

meweavy

Distinguished Member
will bf5 be out this year ?
i was wounding why we were getting all dlc's in such a sort space of time , compared to bf3 where there every 3 or 4 months apart ,

i don't think a lot of people know how to play this ,
apart from you lot , it's not very often i come across randoms playing as a squad or as a team
but saying that i was in a game the other night and all 5 of us "randoms" played as we should do , and played well which was good .....
I think bf5 is a 2015 release.
Maybe they are releasing the map packs quick so they can make some money out of them before people give up on the game altogether.

D

Deleted member 24354

The issue is not so much the cheap whoring players, it's the fact that Dice and EA are continually pandering to them at the expense of the people who actually want to play a tactical shooter. Eg MLRS that can hide behind a berm out of bounds to the other team and spam over 60% of the map. It's deliberate design choice. Pistols that deal more damage than a carbine and are more accurate over 100m. Tanks that also sit out of bounds sniping away, Dice could easily have dealt with them but the game actually encourages that kind of play, the mentality of the designer is less about tactical warfare and all about the k/d.
At the end of the day if they build a twitch shooter, then that is what they will attract, but the loyal fans who have followed this game for well over 10 years and who have kept Dice in business are being shafted for our loyalty.

sinistro

That is where we will agree to disagree. Corner campers do little or nothing to benefit their team, their sole interest is improve their own stats. IMHO this game would be so much better without the dumb stats, all they do is encourage the bottom feeders.

Oh and Sinistro, it maybe fun to plink a few run-around-sallys, but maybe as a sniper you could be really constructive and maybe play as a recon in squad. Find a good hide and spot and shout out the targets for your team, you wont get many kills, but it is a much more useful role and your team will appreciate you as a sniper much more and when you do pull the trigger make sure its a saviour kill.

And why you think I dont do that? I marking targets constant and save team mates by killing attackers they did not see comming, marking tanks and helis with the dlp so they better targets and get killed because of it as I was bit hiding. I play more on medium range with long range capacity thats why I use straight pull, 6x, 8x scope variable to x14.

edit:

the k/d ratio does not say a lot for me as I dont kill all enemies in 1 shot though I do bring their health down into the red and mostly one of my team does the last bit on close(r) ranges.

Last edited:

PlaybookHero

The issue is not so much the cheap whoring players, it's the fact that Dice and EA are continually pandering to them at the expense of the people who actually want to play a tactical shooter. Eg MLRS that can hide behind a berm out of bounds to the other team and spam over 60% of the map. It's deliberate design choice. Pistols that deal more damage than a carbine and are more accurate over 100m. Tanks that also sit out of bounds sniping away, Dice could easily have dealt with them but the game actually encourages that kind of play, the mentality of the designer is less about tactical warfare and all about the k/d.
At the end of the day if they build a twitch shooter, then that is what they will attract, but the loyal fans who have followed this game for well over 10 years and who have kept Dice in business are being shafted for our loyalty.

Yes I agree, but only a small percentage actually do that. Any online game with so many players will get that. They added the out of bounds to stop the idiots spawn camping outside the bases, the game is better for that I think. Any airbourne vehicle with rockets can take out those players off map. I've played bf in various guises for years as well and I'm enjoying this one a lot. The glitches don't really affect me too much.. How many times have you been killed by someone off the map? I think I've been killed two maybe three times since November.

Its the lag that has put me off more than anything. It's been much better recently, but that is still my biggest gripe.

Last edited:

meweavy

Distinguished Member
Yes I agree, but only a small percentage actually do that. Any online game with so many players will get that. They added the out of bounds to stop the idiots spawn camping outside the bases, the game is better for that I think. I've played bf in various guises for years as well and I'm enjoying this one a lot. The glitches don't really affect me too much.. How many times have you been killed by someone off the map? I think I've been killed two maybe three times since November.
The red zone so you can't spawn rape is a very good idea,but I wish they did something about the opposite team sitting in their spawn and attacking in tanks,long range missile launch vehicles etc.
Dawn breaker and hainan resort is notorious for this at A flag and E flag.
The opposite team should have a time frame in which they have to get out of the red zone also.
No one should be allowed to attack from the red zone.
I got a laity message from a French player a few months back accusing me of spawn raping,as he wAs sending out missiles in his vehicle in the red zone so I went into the red zone and blew him up.
Now I did attack in his spawn but he was attacking from his spawn.
No one should be allowed to sit in the red zone and reign down missiles or snipe etc.

PlaybookHero

Airborne vehicles can enter that zone. Jets or helis can easily dispose of those muppets :)

You just need to find one that hasn't been stolen by other muppets landing their snipers on the tallest building they can find lol :)

meweavy

Distinguished Member
Airborne vehicles can enter that zone. Jets or helix can easily dispose of those muppets :)
I didn't know aircraft can fly into the red zone.
I do get annoyed when those missile lorries go into the red zone and reign down the missiles from the red zone.snipers in the red zone are annoying also.

sinistro

Airborne vehicles can enter that zone. Jets or helis can easily dispose of those muppets :)

You just need to find one that hasn't been stolen by other muppets landing their snipers on the tallest building they can find lol :)

its easy and fun to pop those snippers on the tallest buildings, I really dont understand why some think its a good spot for a snipper.

PlaybookHero

its easy and fun to pop those snippers on the tallest buildings, I really dont understand why some think its a good spot for a snipper.

It gives them the surprise factor I guess for people on the ground. Again airborne vehicles can just chew them up no bother. Trying to take them out from below can be tricky if they keep popping back over the lip of the building. If I get really annoyed, I pull out the airburst and they are history. That's the good thing about the game, yes there are annoying aspects but generally there are ways to combat them if they bother you too much.

PlaybookHero

I didn't know aircraft can fly into the red zone.
I do get annoyed when those missile lorries go into the red zone and reign down the missiles from the red zone.snipers in the red zone are annoying also.

Oh yeah I land helis on top of carrier snipers all the time :)

Pebb

Distinguished Member
If you fly over the enemies spawn at low level, then you are most likely going to get taken out by the AA controlled by A.I. Aside from that, one way to stop people hiding in their spawn is to make their weapons or weapon systems worthless.

The same, should apply for people who attack the enemies main spawn.

Last edited:

Sly Fly

Interesting thread this.

Being a novice at this game - starting with BF4 although now level 70ish - I have to say it's a thoroughly enjoyable game. Bloody brilliant and highly addictive. I'm probably guilty of some of the above, such as hiding in a corner waiting for people to run past, but for me it seems to be a better tactic than running INTO people as my reactions don't seem to be quite as good as theirs and I invariably end up dead.

My lost likely moronic trait is to use C4 (playing as Support) as a trap for oncoming infantry. Sometimes works like a wonder (especially up the tower at Flag F I think it is on the forresty map) and other times I'm waiting for AGES for someone to walk into / some vehicle to drive into my C4 minefield, like a useless tw*t thinking 'what the hell am I doing?'. But it makes me happy most of the time. I think each to their own on strategy.

Only just about getting into 'teams' and things, and running with them acheiving goals. Getting to like this aspect. Can't snipe for love nor money, but as said above it's not often at all (seriously, maybe five times?) that I'll get killed from someone off the map or from long distance.

I normally play Support to drop ammo crates but would play more Engineer class - IF - there were others out there who would play more Support class as I run out of rockets / whatever too quick and can't find a crate. Perhaps this is where a good team comes in.

But all in all, loving the game. Sometimes I get my ass handed to me. On some occaision I come top! But 95% of the time I love it.

D

Deleted member 24354

Sly Fly I think at some time or other we are all guilty of some or any of the above stuff. I am the first to admit that on my XBox with no one to play with I became a a REMF long distance counter sniping, totally cheap kills and as much as I'd tell myself that I was a counter sniper, my contribution to my team's goals was precisely zero. I just got so hacked off with maps full of snipers on the opposing team that It was lesson teaching time, sadly it became a habit. Now back with the fold my anti-social behaviour has been curbed somewhat.
As the old saying goes 'build it and they will come'. Well they built it (even if if some of it is a little jerry built) and they came, in all shapes sizes and flavours, including the lagtard Saudis, the cheese eating surrender monkeys, Pablo and his bullet repelling g invisible armour and all of the other colours and creeds that we so vehemently verbally abuse in game (but only in group chat).
As much as we whine and moan, we love the game, that's why we invest so much time and passion into it and like all old B'stards we reminisce how much better BF2, BC2, and BF3 were, in truth we bitched incessantly about them too.
Anyway m8 if you want to play in a group there is a hardcore of AVF and THCC members who play almost every night from early evening till stupid o clock in the am, me included. Add me to your friends PSN mushii1977 and come join the chat and the game, don't be shy about joining a chat, just join in and enjoy (we do swear a lot and abuse Johnny Foreigner even more, but it's all in the spirit of jingoism and dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom