2 to 1 Scart socket

Mark34

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I need to get two scart signals into a TV with one scart input. The devices I need to connect are Phillips STB and a Panasonic DVD Player. I've read that if you just get a scart splitter they can interfere and the signal quality can degrade. Is this avoidable i.e. dependant on devices and settings, or, is it just pot luck? It's just the manual switcher I've found in my price range is a bit clunky...

Scart switch box - nickel plated: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thanks for any thoughts in advance

Mark

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There are smarter looking SCART switches avaialble from Wilkos (Wilkinsons) and cheaper; also Argos should stock some.

Does the STB have 2 scarts? What model is it?

Its normal for the 2nd scart (usually marked VCR) to also act as a passthrough when the box is in standby. This means you can connect the DVD this way, simply put the box in standby when you want to watch DVD.

There are smarter looking SCART switches avaialble from Wilkos (Wilkinsons) and cheaper; also Argos should stock some.

Thanks Chris. I've read the cheap ones get interference when both devices are in use which will be required at times as the DVD is being used to record? In effect the scart recieves two signals and can't handle it...

What TV are you using?
If a flat screen with component and the DVD player has component out then that is the best way to connect the two (far better than Scart).
Do not mix up Component with Composite which is totally rubbish.
To connect with componet you will need a component cable and stero audio cable.
Component Video Video Cables - Best UK Prices at www.tvcables.co.uk
Stereo Phono Cables Audio Cables - Best UK Prices at www.tvcables.co.uk

Unfortunately the TV is an old CRT and connectivity is v limited.

Does the STB have 2 scarts? What model is it?

Its normal for the 2nd scart (usually marked VCR) to also act as a passthrough when the box is in standby. This means you can connect the DVD this way, simply put the box in standby when you want to watch DVD.

The problem is the DVD is being used to record stuff so there will be times when both STB and DVD are in use and so will send a competing signal to the splitter? I don't really want to have to unplug scarts if I can avoid it...

Whats the source of the recording, if its an internal tuner on the DVD Recorder then you'll be fine, you will still be able to watch the STB.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom