1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 technophobe newbies desperate for help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Diggerdi, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Diggerdi

Diggerdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone please help before the new Toshiba XS32 goes out the window. We've been trying to set it up since yesterday afternoon. We can now record to HDD from TV with picture and sound, but are unable to record from video to HDD with sound. Set up, as far as I can gather, is:

Toshiba widescreen TV (3 scart sockets)

Pace Sky digibox (2 scart sockets) TV scart to TV

Toshiba V857B video (2 scart sockets) in/out to TV, in to DVDR

Toshiba XS 32SB (2 scart sockets) AV1 to in on video, AV2 to TV

Have I given enough info? The main reason we got it was to transfer lots of old music/concert videos to DVD. Through reading this forum I find we probably can't do that without a special lead!

Hoping someone can help :lease:

Diane

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    You should alter your setup slightly:

Sky TV Out >>> AV2 on the Toshiba RDXS32 and then AV1 >>> TV EXT1 (RGB Input)
    Sky VCR Out >>> Input on VCR and then Output >>> TV EXT2

Ensure that AV1 and AV2 on your Toshiba RDXS32 are set to 'RGB', likewise for Sky (Services menu). Refer to the manuals if you are unsure how to go about this.

I would suggest just hooking your VCR up to your DVD recorder on an 'ad hoc' basis as once you've transfered your VHS recordings you'll have little use for VHS>DVD dubbing. In such cases remove Sky from AV2 and hook up the VCR Output to AV2 (remembering to set the connection type to 'Video/composite').

3. Diggerdi

Diggerdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, you are my hero :D . Followed your instructions and is now all sorted. :thumbsup: . Only one small difference, AV2 on the DVD needs to be set to video, not RGB. When I did it as you said I got sound but no picture. Changed it to video and now have both. Everything is working perfectly.

All I've got to do now is work out how to record one TV channel whilst watching another. Time to read and digest the instruction book :eek: .

Again many, many thanks. I may be back

Diane

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is most probably because the the scart wasnt connected to an RGB scart socket on the TV. Its worth connecting using RGB, better picture. The scarts are usually labelled on the back of the telly.

You cannot record and watch different channels on the DVD recorder, it has one tuner. To watch other channels you simply watch the normal TV channels using the TV Tuner. If you want to watch sky, use SAT MON. but remember if you are recording from Sky you cant watch another sky channel.