2 switches, need to make them smart

alitech

Hi guys

I have dabbled with home automation and have been playing around with smartthings for a little while. It is not a hugely robust system but I persevere. I have some automatic bathroom and store lights. I also have hue and hive systems and also ring doorbell. So a lot of systems that dont play well together but whatever, I am ok for now.

I want want to start installing some smart switches in my walls. I know of fibaro dimmer 2 and shelly etc. I want them to integrate with smartthings and alexa.

Does anyone know if i can control 2 light switches with a single fibaro device?

Here is what my wall plate looks like. On the left is just a light switch and on the right is a dimmer switch. Its a press and hold type switch.

I can put a momentary switches in place of these as I understand that is whats needed for fibaro. Can anyone shed some light on fibaro dimmer 2. Can I use one to control both switches or do I need to do something else to achieve that?

I have 48mm back box by the way, so plenty of space to fit in some stuff. The plate and modules are euro modules.

20200915_153001.jpg

Seb Briggs

Hi

though the Fibaro dimmer is called “dimmer 2” it can only control one lighting circuit. That’s true for Shelly as well.

both Shelly and Fibaro have dual circuit devices but neither provide dimming just on/off function

neither Fibaro or Shelly dimmers actually require momentary switches just they can be easier to use , in actual fact retractive 3 ways switches are even better but you can just use a normal toggle switch but then no dimming at the switch

alitech

Hi

though the Fibaro dimmer is called “dimmer 2” it can only control one lighting circuit. That’s true for Shelly as well.

both Shelly and Fibaro have dual circuit devices but neither provide dimming just on/off function

neither Fibaro or Shelly dimmers actually require momentary switches just they can be easier to use , in actual fact retractive 3 ways switches are even better but you can just use a normal toggle switch but then no dimming at the switch
OK I'm surprised about that. It is called a dimmer yet only provides on and off functionality. Are you sure?

I need to brush up on momentary and retractive switches. I have euro modules so I need to get them to fir my modules also.

Seb Briggs

No, it’s a dimmer but only one circuit sorry if I didn’t make that clear

if euro modules then you can mix and match

alitech

I can send wiring diagrams but decided recently that it should be chargeable as people took advantage .
Oh. How would anyone take advantage of free help and advice?

Seb Briggs

Why should advice be free as it comes from experience. Plenty of people who will offer it but use your time to find it out

I m really not being a knob but shouldn’t I get rewarded for knowledge

alitech

Why should advice be free as it comes from experience. Plenty of people who will offer it but use your time to find it out

I m really not being a knob but shouldn’t I get rewarded for knowledge
Yes you should I guess, however you are on a free public forum. Perhaps you should start a website. Or better yet make a video and earn on YouTube. For the viewer the advice is still free but you get paid regardless.

Just a thought. I still don't understand how someone can take advantage of you.

alitech

Yes please. I'd love to learn about this. I feel I am almost there 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom