Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

2 Subwoofers ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by lutonian, Aug 26, 2005.

1. lutonian

lutonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have a garage that I am converting at the moment, it measures 6 metres x 5 metres so space isn't an issue. I run currently run a REL Q100 and was thinking about running a second on the rears also. Is this a good or bad idea. Someone in a shop also mentioned that it maybe worth buying a bigger sub, like a stadium. Any thoughts, or experience on the matter ?

lutonian

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Dual sub configurations have a large number of benefits such as a much larger sweetspot or a significant reduction in distortion if they're colocated. The caveat is that it's very difficult indeed to get such a configuration working right - particularly if you're using a seperate one for the rears. I think you would be better sending them both the LFE signal if you really want a pair of subs.

Having said that, I think that your money would be better spent on a single larger and better unit. :)

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Phase cancellation issues are bad enough with one sub. I'm not sure if two would be a blessing or a curse !

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There's definitely no middle ground, I use 2 and if it's set up right it works very well indeed. If done wrong there's no real benefit to use one sub and can be detrimental! :)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If you are starting with a blank sheet in terms of equipment placement it isn't too difficult to integrate a pair of subwoofers with the best place often just beside each main speaker.

The Q100 was a good sub in it's day but nowadays the budget subs can go much louder and deeper with markedly less distortion and you would be better off selling the Q100 and buying either a much larger single sub or a pair of more modern subs.

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    The same money spent (wasted) on two lesser subs would buy you one much more competent one. :)

I ran two DIY subs with shoebox monitor speakers (Kans) for some years. But buying one proper subwoofer was a revelation.

Buy a good sub. If you like it and can afford it, then buy another one the same afterwards for twice the fun.

Don't put anything at the back of the room except rear speakers.

Nimby

7. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I know the B&W PV1 has been overhyped, but I belive it's a fantastic sub - Especially when you use two of them!

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I would go with a single sub, the best your budget allows. A decent subwoofer should be able to fill a 6 by 5 mtr room comfortably.

9. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I've now had two subs running for about a fortnight. I had one for a few years and then got the sub with the Canton CD1 system and after a short spell comparing the two i decided my older sub was better.

I then threw in the other sub after a suggestion that the Canton covers a bigger range to fill in the sound upto the small CD1 sats, so I should try them together. They started off sounding good, but the more i listen the more it's beginning to show up problems. Sometimes they work in harmony, and sometimes one on it's own sounds better. I've been told I should let the Canton run in for at least 200 hours before I decide.

The thing is the Canton is a lightweight vinyl covered sealed box with only a front port. My AS is big, very heavy, is black ash with beautiful edging, has really neat isolating feet, is downward firing with a downward port and not only sounds good but looks like furniture. I've had people sit on it thinking it's a seat. And to my ears sounds far better. So I tend to agree i think one is better than 2. However I'm surrounded by some really good hifi companies, BK, Ruark, Monitor Audio and Rega, so i'm tempted to give all the sub makers a call and ask if i can pop over to see how much better their subs are.

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 subs running and the sound is extremely good, in fact a little bit too good for my neighbours likeing... :D

11. tahirti3

tahirti3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    if you can place one good sub so that you cant hear where it is coming from,then that will work well.but if you have to place it so close that you can localise it,i would go for two subs placed possibly on opposite sides but at equal distance to your listening position.this will normally allow better integration than a single unit.

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A pair of subs placed at equal distance to your listening position will be a game of 2 halves. Either it works excellently or it won't work at all.

The only reason that I've come across that means the sub is too close is when you can feel the air against one side of your body but not the other which clearly requires quite a substantial device.

13. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,525
    So very true! I run 2 subs at the mo and had them set up an equal distance from the listening position, next to the front L & R speakers and it seemed like every other room in the flat got all the LFE except for the room it was meant to be in! I've now put the both in an alcove, facing opposite corners, behind the equipment rack and it sounds 10 times better! Not to mention the increase in the SPL and the low range from having them both there... ;)

14. tahirti3

tahirti3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    in my room the subs are about 5 feet either side of my seat,if i use one sub i can tell where it is coming from.with 2 subs the bass becomes seamless.variable phase controls help a lot with cancellation problems.and the eq on my b15a's are a godsend.i would try and find a dealer who will let you dem at home.

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep phase control will help sort out cancellation problems... :)

16. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    ...I would go with two matched subs...

I have a similar sized room and have two subs either side of front speakers and they really work well.

You may find you need a BFD to set them up correctly as any room issues will be hard to tame without it....

DJ

17. TAREK-FOUAD

TAREK-FOUAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI ALL

I HAVE 3 subs

1st one jamo x8sub 200w 12inch
    2nd one jamo sw410e 100w 10inch
    3rd one jamo 70w 8inch

connected with Y cable and 3rd one connected to 1st one

and i have to say its very very hard bass and deep. my room 6x5m
    i think go for 2subs and dont forget to face it to the front corners .

18. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    FWIW i run 2 rel subs with good results. Strata 5 on the fronts with LFE connected and Quake on the centre only with no LFE, located behind the seating position .

I know, I know, its a huge sub mis match, but i have spent a while setting them up and positioning etc and they work extremely well together. :thumbsup:

19. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I'm glad you are enjoying your subs. But I wouldn't like to see a graph of your peaks and cancellations due to phase effects from widely seperated subwoofers in the same room.

Nimby

20. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Im not going to go into a debate as to whether my subs are peaking or cancelling each other blah blah blah because i dont see the point. i dont have any extra equipment to deal with anything, just set up to my requirements. As the manual says - 'if it sounds right to your ears then it is right.'

As i said they work well together (IMO) especially as they are reinforcing completely different channels so i dont beleive there are any phase effects or anything else for that matter.

That said, im not looking for 'audiophile' sound quality, just a decent low end which i have.

Nuff said....

21. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    I merely offered this information as something to avoid as a general rule.
    But as you say: If it sounds right to you then it is right. Though I'd still have both subs at the front myself to maximise subwoofer gain for fim use.

I used to have two large passive subs in my Kans only stereo system. Each was placed just inside a main speaker on each side of the TV. The seperation no doubt introduced some phase effects. But this layout was still very satisfactory on a subjective level in a very large room. Though the slightest movement of the subwoofers affected the degree of combined bass output. A few inches would make the bass too heavy or subjectively too light. Being passive I had no control over their level, phase or roll-off point.

Now I find that using my Kans as small rear speakers with front floorstanders my single subwoofer is capable of steering deep bass information so that it appears to come from behind the listener. "Fly-overs" are a good example of how well this works. Battle scenes are remarkable for this bass steering effect too.

Nimby

22. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'd go with one larger more powerful design. In my opinion REL have fallen well behind in this regard. Also, good room EQ is an invaluable tool for subwoofer installation :thumbsup:

23. baldybonce

baldybonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Have read this thread now and still require a bit of advice...

Set up is Denon 3910, 3806, Pioneer 505XDE Kef 6000 ACE speakers with REL Q150E. The room is 5m x 4m and the only place for the sub is besides the sitting position(sofa), my question is... would I get a better sound from having another Q150E on the other side of the sofa to balance this out?