1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 subwoofers - rear channel

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by RXP, Apr 5, 2005.

1. RXP

RXP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm planing on buying some powered speakers that come with a subwoofer as my rear speakers.

I was wondering is it a good idea to have another subwoofer on the rear channel? Surely it can't do any 'harm' to the noise because the lower frequencies will be directed to the main sub but some of the lower rear sounds will come thru the sub.

The reason I wanna buy the speakers with a sub is that cheap speakers which I'm buying as rears, don't sound all too good but with a sub they sound fine. I can't afford to get myself a decent set of rears because I don't have the monye to buy an amp. So powered speakers is the next best thing.

I know you can have stereo subs and things like that but I havne't heard of anyone doing this.

2. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what your, putting over, the stereo surrounds for the rear…are you running Dolby digital and if so the stereo surrounds are full range 20Hz to 20KHz. :thumbsup:

And it’s very rare that there is anything below 80Hz, there are some films that have some information at around 25Hz on the stereo surrounds like Planet of the apes DVD chapter 3, star trek 2 the wrath of khan on the bridge of uss enterprise there is a low background level playing giving the sense of begin there. :thumbsup:

So yes give it a try…one thing though why not place six for the surrounds two on the back wall and two on each side wall spaced out evenly this will, get your attention! Or try going to richer sounds and looking for some bookshelf loudspeakers get six I’ll say they won’t cost much, and remember cinema surround loudspeakers cost a whole lot more…so six bookshelf ones right…then two sub bass speakers nice 12in ones will do and place each one in the corners of the back of the room. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you’re using Dolby digital and haven’t got centre back surround then re-plug the outputs of the stereo surrounds pre-outputs on the back of the AV receiver into a second-hand Dolby pro-logic AV receiver, look on the Ebay there lots of Yamaha’s going around there at low prices at the start of the biding… :thumbsup:

So if you can get the Dolby pro-logic AVR for decoding the centre back surround matrix, send the speaker outputs left and right to the active sub bass speakers connecting it to the low-pass input and the high-pass outputs going to the surrounds left and right…then for the centre back surround output from the AVR centre speaker output connected to the two sets of bookshelf loudspeakers…got that!...don’t worry about the bass on the centre surround that can be controlled from the Dolby pro-logic AVR by switching from normal to wide...best to leave it in normal setting mode. :thumbsup:

Also if you add a few more of the same type bookshelf loudspeakers and use the speaker surround output terminals on the AVR for height surround sonic overhead whole! Around four to six fitted to the ceiling and evenly spaced out…now the whole surround chain it will knock your soaks off... :smashin:

So now if you can save the money unlike me! For a few months then your have a nice stereo surround plus centre back sound chain… :smashin: :thumbsup:

Sounds like you’re trying to get that UCI High Wycombe sound! The THX sound there was warm sounding…go for it and make it low and loud! :thumbsup:

I’m a former cinema projectionist :)

Ashley

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Having 2 subs in a system can certainly be beneficial,and can make up for deficiencies in a single sub,or reduce room related problems.

The problem that you may have would be if the sound directed to your rear channels is already filtered(i.e.your AV system is currently running a sub,to which the LF is already being directed)....you would need to set your rear speakers as full range speakers,in order for them to receive the LF feed also.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    JBL 4645 most people don't want the speakers you find in the uci ,Six surround speakers is far too much for the living room .As for 25hz stuff on the surrounds
    is that correct, i can't see any rear speakers doing this set to large and most are made to roll off around 80hz anyway 130hz and below is where most of the info is sent to the lfe channel.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Much the same point as I was making as well,in other threads from JBL.

The advice being given,however well intentioned,is relevant mainly to cinema use,and not home cinema.

The number of speakers that are truly full range,i.e.able to reproduce 25hz or lower at even moderate levels,is very limited,and,as you rightly point out,not generally found in surround speakers.

Given that RXP's budget is limited,then powered rears may be a solution,but with the provisos already given regarding LF,and that this solution may not work at all,unless the rears are set to large,and whatever crossover there is in the powered speakers works to direct any LF solely to their own sub(s).