2 subwoofers, 1 Denon

Roku2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally received and set up my second subwoofer. It now joins my current 5.1.2 Home Theater and the result is nothing less than what I was expecting. Contrary to what many said, the second sub creates a totally different atmosphere when watching a movie. If the scene, for example, involves an army marching on the field to go to battle, you can actually "feel" the footstomps vibrate on the ground underneath your feet. If someone gets thrown out a window and falls onto the ground, you can clearly hear and feel the thumping sound and vibrations, as if a real heavy object just fell onto my living room floor.
I have the gain in the back of both subs set at about 5 o' clock which is almost too much but just right for that rumbling effect-any more gain and it becomes too distracting, any less and the whole thing would sound too dry

Have you balanced their output using an spl meter as they may be mismatched on their output. If you adjust using test tones so they independently are set to 75db then re run your auto eq system.

Have you balanced their output using an spl meter as they may be mismatched on their output. If you adjust using test tones so they independently are set to 75db then re run your auto eq system.
I just re-ran Audyssey calibration, but I think Audyssey was way off because it came back with Level -11, which is almost the maximum negative level of -12. So I changed it manually and bumbed it up by a few dBs. I want to hear my floor shake and my drink make little ripples when I watch a movie:)

Possibly one is louder than the other. If you balance and eq them you will get a better result, nearer to 0db. Plus the sound should be more even throughout the listening area. Audyssey may have picked up that one sub is louder hence the negative figure.

Possibly one is louder than the other. If you balance and eq them you will get a better result, nearer to 0db. Plus the sound should be more even throughout the listening area. Audyssey may have picked up that one sub is louder hence the negative figure.
So are you suggesting to bring level back to -11 dB?

No. Turn one sub off. Using an spl meter, run the tones on your avr. When the one sub registers 75db on the spl meter turn the sub off. Then turn the other sub on and run the tones and adjust the gain until that sub registers 75db on the spl meter. Turn the other sub back on and re run auto calibration on the denon. As both subs are balanced they will have the same output level and will work better together.

I finally received and set up my second subwoofer. It now joins my current 5.1.2 Home Theater and the result is nothing less than what I was expecting. Contrary to what many said, the second sub creates a totally different atmosphere when watching a movie. If the scene, for example, involves an army marching on the field to go to battle, you can actually "feel" the footstomps vibrate on the ground underneath your feet. If someone gets thrown out a window and falls onto the ground, you can clearly hear and feel the thumping sound and vibrations, as if a real heavy object just fell onto my living room floor.
I have the gain in the back of both subs set at about 5 o' clock which is almost too much but just right for that rumbling effect-any more gain and it becomes too distracting, any less and the whole thing would sound too dry

Not to ruin your party but it depends on the sub my single one is capable of destroying the house and I do feel everything quite a bit at quarter gain and it blends seamlessly. Two subs would typically blend in more but the floor movement really depends on the overall output and frequency, often I hear no bass at all but the couch moves under my butt love that feeling. Will you tell us what subs are you using? I went this route 2 subs in one perfectly balanced and love you should aim to achieve to as close as possibly to this effect and you'll be sweet .

MartinLogan BalancedForce® Subs, Flagship Subwoofer Series

Last edited:
Not to ruin your party but it depends on the sub my single one is capable of destroying the house and I do feel everything quite a bit at quarter gain and it blends seamlessly. Two subs would typically blend in more but the floor movement really depends on the overall output and frequency, often I hear no bass at all but the couch moves under my butt love that feeling.
Just had a look at profile, one is onkyo subwoofer??? Other is acoustics hd12???

wellll.......... try to match those perfectly.

No. Turn one sub off. Using an spl meter, run the tones on your avr. When the one sub registers 75db on the spl meter turn the sub off. Then turn the other sub on and run the tones and adjust the gain until that sub registers 75db on the spl meter. Turn the other sub back on and re run auto calibration on the denon. As both subs are balanced they will have the same output level and will work better together.
I am rookie, so would you please explain how to run the tones with a spl meter before auto-calibration?

Not to ruin your party but it depends on the sub my single one is capable of destroying the house and I do feel everything quite a bit at quarter gain and it blends seamlessly. Two subs would typically blend in more but the floor movement really depends on the overall output and frequency, often I hear no bass at all but the couch moves under my butt love that feeling. Will you tell us what subs are you using? I went this route 2 subs in one perfectly balanced and love you should aim to achieve to as close as possibly to this effect and you'll be sweet .

MartinLogan BalancedForce® Subs, Flagship Subwoofer Series
I have a 10" Onkyo sub and my newly acquired Acoustic Audio 12" sub

Just had a look at profile, one is onkyo subwoofer??? Other is acoustics hd12???
Confirmed. They sound and look beautiful, but not at -12 level. I had to break the "Audiophile 1st Commandment" and adjust the levels to my likings

..and why did you mix two different subs?

Part of a gradual upgrade process as I understand, with a second HS coming later on.

You don't need a separate SPL meter to adjust the subs prior to Audyssey set up:

Start the Audyssey set up with one sub on and adjust it's gain control (on the sub itself) to show 72dB on the screen during the sub set up section. DO NOT PASS BEYOND THIS POINT YET. Turn that sub off and turn the second sub on and also adjust it's gain so that you see 72dB on screen. STILL DO NOT PASS THIS POINT. Turn on the first sub so both are on together and see if you are at 75dB with them both running.

You may have to go back and forth a little to achieve this (I wouldn't worry if the two hit 76-78dB though and you might struggle due to the mismatch between them). Once you have reached 75dB on the sub level check, you can proceed through the rest of the Audyssey set up.

It still might not be perfect (most certainly won't be since you're mixing two different subs and have no control over individual delays for the subs) but after the calibration is completed you can further tweak sub levels as you see fit.

However, as noted above, the idea isn't to hear bass all the time likewise neither is it appropriate to hear surrounds all the time. As you know I have a fairly decent pair of identical 15" sealed subs that are nicely eq'd to a target curve by Dirac (ie flattened, but not 'flat') and sometimes it might seem as if the subs are off. You would notice if someone turned them off though and of course once some LFE kicks in then they jump to life and shake the room and thump my chest. Of course, it's your system and your choice on the settings so do what you enjoy as that's why you bought it...

..and why did you mix two different subs?
The Onkyo already came with the Home Theater System I bought for Christmas. The Acousti Audio subwoofer was the best thing my money could buy...I always wanted a 12" sub to couple with my existing 10" sub. I dont mind mixing and matching. My surrounds and center are Polk Audio but my Front speakers are Onkyo, and the original Onky receiver got repalced with a Denon. It's fun to customize your own thing:)

Part of a gradual upgrade process as I understand, with a second HS coming later on.

You don't need a separate SPL meter to adjust the subs prior to Audyssey set up:

Start the Audyssey set up with one sub on and adjust it's gain control (on the sub itself) to show 72dB on the screen during the sub set up section....
are you sure the way adjust the gain control on the sub itself is diplayed pn the screen? From what I recall, the sub setup section only asks you whether subwoofer is available or not

However, as noted above, the idea isn't to hear bass all the time likewise neither is it appropriate to hear surrounds all the time. ..
No, you dont need bass or surround all the time...it's called a SOUND BAR:)
All jokes aside, me and my wife might have total different taste in movies and streaming programs, but we both love larger than life surrounding and bass

...By the way, Kevin1965, wasnt that YOU who said that he likes to turn the Bass to +3dB when using your HT for movies?;)

are you sure the way adjust the gain control on the sub itself is diplayed pn the screen? From what I recall, the sub setup section only asks you whether subwoofer is available or not

It's part of Audyssey XT32 set up on my previous Onkyo AVR818, it may be different if you haven't got XT32 or a different brand.

No, you dont need bass or surround all the time...it's called a SOUND BAR:)
All jokes aside, me and my wife might have total different taste in movies and streaming programs, but we both love larger than life surrounding and bass

You like what you like, which is why my last line was;
"Of course, it's your system and your choice on the settings so do what you enjoy as that's why you bought it..."

I could say that if you don't want bass all the time it's called a 10" and 12" sub...;)

...By the way, Kevin1965, wasnt that YOU who said that he likes to turn the Bass to +3dB when using your HT for movies?;)

Yes I do (in fact it's +2dB for films as I checked the other day), since I don't listen at reference. However this is a very well eq'd response so I wouldn't be surprised if you felt there wasn't enough bass if you could hear it...you'd soon notice once the LFE kicks in though. My set up can achieve 113dB down to 10Hz which is pretty violent. However at +2dB for the sub much of the time you might wonder if it was on, but that's also a function of being well set up having spent a lot of time with REW refining the crossover region.

It's part of Audyssey XT32 set up on my previous Onkyo AVR818, it may be different if you haven't got XT32 or a different brand.

You like what you like, which is why my last line was;
"Of course, it's your system and your choice on the settings so do what you enjoy as that's why you bought it..."

I could say that if you don't want bass all the time it's called a 10" and 12" sub...;)

Yes I do (in fact it's +2dB for films as I checked the other day), since I don't listen at reference. However this is a very well eq'd response so I wouldn't be surprised if you felt there wasn't enough bass if you could hear it...you'd soon notice once the LFE kicks in though. My set up can achieve 113dB down to 10Hz which is pretty violent. However at +2dB for the sub much of the time you might wonder if it was on, but that's also a function of being well set up having spent a lot of time with REW refining the crossover region.
But why would you want such a beautiful piece of equipment to sometimes sound like it's not even there? I had to save up quite a bit of $$$ for my second subwoofer, and I better be hearing that baby LOUD and clear all the time:)
What makes me transition from a humble Samsung soundbar to 5.1.2 HT was mainly the surround and bass effects...you take those away and you now have just an overpriced soundbar that sounds just like a soundbar. Yes I like my surround speakers and subwoofer at high levels, but I dont do it in a way that might ruin the soundtrack, or get in the way of clear dialogues, or produce noisy effects either

Me thinks someone is not listening to the advise of others, whom have very capable systems in the terms of overall output and sound quality???? :rotfl: (not meaning me)

Me thinks someone is not listening to the advise of others, whom have very capable systems in the terms of overall output and sound quality???? :rotfl: (not meaning me)
I am very willing to listen...If I could just figure out how to adjust the Gain on the subwoofers while seeing it diplayed on the screen

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom