1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Subs ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Lemo, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Lemo

Lemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.......

Have just upgraded my receiver from the Sony SDB925 to the Marantz 5300 and will be spending some time setting it all up tomorrow.

However I've got a couple of questions.......

(1) The old Sony receiver had 2 Subwoofer outputs and I have been using 2 subs, however the new Marantz only has 1 subwoofer output, is it possible to use two subs from one output ?? if so how ??

(2) The marantz has a subwoofer crossover frequency of 100Hz which I understand is fixed and cannot be altered. However my speakers only go down to 120Hz so I guess I am going to lose some sound. Will this be obvious when watching movies ?? or would I need to be a major audiophile to notice?

Cheers Guys, thanks for any help you can provide.

Lemo

2. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lemo mate,
    No you probably will never notice, as long as your whole sub setup is right. And anyways if you are happy with the way it sounds then why change it. Crickey you can get some serious result from the reciever you are usin ( I use the same one).

Any way it all really depends on the size of your room. ie what kind of furniture , curtains, carpet.....

Let us know what kind of/size of room you aim to use and hopefully we might just be able to help:smashin:

All the best Blue

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You need a Y piece so that you can connect both subs to the same phono outlet on the amp.

The answer to the second part of your query will become apparent to you when you connect it all up and try it out so come back and let us know whether you noticed the missing 10 Hz - My guess is that you will.

4. Lemo

Lemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys....

Will using a Y splitter affect the quality of the signal to each subwoofer ? or would it be better to simply just use one sub?

LEMO

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It won't affect the quality of the sound but many people have difficulty integrating two subs, especially if they are different makes. You must be one of the lucky ones

6. Lemo

Lemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ian....

Have two subs exactly the same make and model.

I placed one with the front channels and the other with the back channels and it sounds great.

Looking forward to hearing what they'll sound like with my new marantz receiver.

Just worried about the 'crossover' issue, not sure what the crossover was on the old Sony receiver, but the sound was fine so hoping that I won't notice.

Will let you know the outcome.

LEMO

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The crossover on the 925 was around 120hz IIRC.