Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

2 subs better than 1?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by GavinH, Nov 2, 2003.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

got a couple of questions about subs.

First of all, as you move up through the price range when looking at subs, what changes to make them perform better? I understand that better subs will reach lower frequencies, but what else will help a sub sound better with difficult bass in movies?

For example, I recently demo'd a set up with an M&K V850 sub. Listening to the Balin's Tomb scene from LOTR the fellowship, I thought the Cave Troll stomping around was difficult bass to deal with - producing a sound that replicated big heavy steps. Admittedly I was not testing subs... I was trying out different amps, and in this case, the bass would have also been difficult for the dvd player and the amp. But it is this that prompts my second question.

Can 2 subs be better than one? For example, what would be the pros and cons of having 2 B&W ASW675s compared with the pros and cons of having a single B&W ASW750?

I ask this because I don't have a huge budget for a sub, so one option would be to get something in the 500 - 600 price range, and add a second sub later. Or, I could sell the first sub, and upgrade to something better.

Thanks for any help,

Gav

2. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Gavin,

Next time your in the store we will talk about the room you are planning to put the system in, then we can talk about subwoofer options.

Best regards

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Multiple sub's are a double edged sword, given enough effort and external control (if required) the benefits can most noticable.
    Conversely there wil be situations where a single superior sub will be preferable.
    Not exactly what you want to hear but it is very much a suck it and see situation, especially within smaller listening rooms where actual spl is not an issue.
    I would borrow a second if possible (identical models are not a must for trial purposes) as position and control are key. You may well find the intrusion of two boxes in their optimum postions somewhat difficult to live with.

Regards

Steven

4. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Had a long chat with John Jefferies of MJ acoustics fame at the recent Practical HI-FI show in Manchester and he convinced me to go the twin sub route rather than the single sub route I was intending. I also took advantage of the special show price at got 2 Reference 100 subs in black for circa £560. I have set these up along with my Mission 783’s, which are not lacking in the bass department and the difference to both movies and music is far better than I expected. Also Mr Jefferies talked himself out of little bit of profit by advising me on the two smaller units that the single larger sub that I was intending to buy. I must say that for their size the depth and clarify the little REF 100 give out is unbelievable and they are far easier to set up than the Mordaunt Short, Padigram and B&W (second hand) subs I have used over recent years.

Regards,

Chris

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,966
    Gavin,
    I am sure that Craig will sort you out, he certainly knows his stuff and his advice is second to none, a real gent and someone with a real passion for what he does. I have used 7 oaks in Newcastle for the last two years and have nothing but great things to say about them.

As for two subs, i tried two Rel Storms a while back and found them a nightmare to intergrate together and ended up selling, to smurfin i believe who also had real problems with them. However I am using two Servo 15's now and they were very easy to intergrate and add a certain weight only achievable using two subs, or one very expensive mega sub, such as an hgs.

6. greggz

greggz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavin,

If you'd like a little light reading ;) on multiple subwoofers, here's the link to an 80 page presentation that a Harman/Infinity engineer prepared on just this topic.

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

(if the technical mumbo-jumbo isnt your cup of tea you can just jump to the conclusion part on slides 74-75)

7. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I've read that one and apparently the best setup for two subs is one at the mid point of the front wall and another in the same position but to the rear.

Its a little difficult for most people to site a sub at the front in this way though, unless you have a PJ.

But it gave the flatest response out of all the position and over a wide listening area.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    I've got 2 Kef TDM45B subs, and wouldn't go back to single sub.

I have each sub acting as a stand for the main left & right speakers (KEF TDM23F's), and it removes the lob sided feel and just sounds right.
    Switching one of them off doesn't seem to make a much of difference until you switch it back on again and you realise
    something was missing.
    Its very difficult to explain, but having 2 subs just adds that extra magic and sounds probably balanced.

Also, I reckon AV amps of the future will all have stereo sub ouputs. Assuming that an identical sub would be difficult to find in the future, I'd want to buy them both now in order to take advantage of it.

I used to have a single REL storm, and yes it went deeper and was more agile... but I was forver fidlling with it and it drove me nuts. Now I just sit back and enjoy!

9. 64kym

64kym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavin
    Im also a convert of the twin sub option, one sealed and one vented for the best of both worlds.
    Only issue I came up against apart from WAF was cancelation which was solved by stacking them both in one corner

10. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Two subs sound way better than one, and if you place them symetrically, for instance behind each front speaker like me, they will "eliminate" odd room nodes, and sound much flatter than one could... :smashin:

11. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You could consider the much ignored Jamo D7 THX Ultra 2 sub, as the system has been specifically designed for 7.2 it's fitted with an amazing "boundary Gain" component, to this day I still have not heard a sub like it, massive amounts of accurate loud base but with out shaking the room, my store is in an 1800th century building so we used to get no end of rattle, with the Jamo though nothing, doesn't matter how far you push it.

You do need space though, they are not a small box, priced at £799 each, and must be dem'd