1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 speakers from 1 output ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Raveun2, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Yam AX1 which is 6.1 matrix and really want to use 2 speakers instead of one for the centre rear. Problem is the AX1 has only one speaker connection for the centre rear.

I've read a review in HCC where they actually did this with KEFs TDM bipoles. So, how do you do this ? Do you daisy chain them ? and what effect will this have to the volume level ? Would this be a good move and worth doing for the improvements or would sound quality go down ?

I wish to use a 6ohm or maybe 8ohm speakers.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I don't know what resistive load the amp will tolerate but be aware that if you connect in parallel you will be presenting the amp with a 4 ohm load (possibly less with 6 ohm speakers).This can result in a lot of heat which may prove catastrophic if used in anger.
    When speakers are connected in parallel, the impedance is reduced. This means that, given the same output voltage, the current demand on the amplifier will be increased. If all speakers have the same impedance, the total impedance is the impedance of a single speaker divided by the total number of speakers. If you have two 4 ohm speakers connected in parallel, the total impedance is 4/2 or 2 ohms. You must be careful when paralleling speakers onto an amplifier. The impedance can quickly fall below safe levels. This is especially true when connecting speakers in parallel onto a bridged amplifier. hth

3. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much. Will not attempt that then !

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I only would do this if both speakers are of exactly the same type, i.e. same brand and model!

If they are both 8 Ohm you can wire in parallel, else in series as Lynx describes. Use with moderate volume first and see how the amp handles it, though I guess on the center rear you are quite safe.

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1