2 Speaker setup - Too much bass but no EQ?

Michalis Cosmas

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i just got a Harmon AVR 171 receiver with a pair of Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. I only want to run 2 channel for now.

on the Harmon, I have turned off the centre, surround and sub speakers, and have changed the crossover frequency of the fronts to 40.

Problem is I'm finding the speakers to be too bassy. I can't seem to find anywhere on the receiver an equalizer option so I can turn the bass down? It only seems to have control over each speaker, which doesn't help in a 2 channel setup.

The music source in this case is a dvd player, which also doesn't have an equaliser. So I can't see any way I can do this.

Any help is appreciated.

I'd suggest you run the cabration setup. For a starter, altering the crossover serves no purpose because you are simply discarding the frequencies if there's nowhere to redirect them. Leave the speakers set as LARGE and don't bother with a crossover until you've a sub to send the lower frequencies to.

Use the calibration microphone and then set your front speakers as being large. There's no need to assign a crossover point for the front speakers unless you've a subwoofer. You can turn down the bass from within the receiver's TONE SETTINGS. Each source has its own TONE setting associated with it so the TONE settings are located in the SOURCE SETUP settings.

AH ok I've found the tone settings (although this isn't exactly detailed, it's just bass or treble).

So the calibration also does equalisation? I thought it only did the speaker distance and the speaker level of each speaker (as these are the only options availble in the Manual calibration).

Also, why should I set my speakers to get all frequencies? they are rated down to 42Hz so surely the crossover should be set to 40?

You have no sub and if you calibrated correctly then you'd have no option to set crossovers in relation to the front speakers. Crossovers are only applicable to the front two speakers if set to SMALL and you can only set them to SMALL if a subwoofer is present. Crossover are pointless without a subwoofrer and are not to be used as absolute cutoff points. If your speakers are rated to be unable to reproduce the frequencies then what makes you think that using a cutoff will reduce the bass. Surely if they cannot reproduce the bass in question then the issue isn't with bass frequencies they are not outputting? The issue lays elsewhere so concentrate on other aspects such as the tone adjustments and speaker placement. The speakers you have are well regarded and work in manuy stereo setups that have no bass management or fascility to use crossovers. The crossover settings are there to redirect frequencies to a subwoofer, not to erradicate them completely as you appear to be trying to do?

Last edited:
ok I see your point. I'll try making them LARGE and disable the crossover.Thanks for the help!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom