1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 soundcards, bad idea?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by zAndy1, Jan 22, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,484
    Hi all,
    I'm having problems due to Showshifter and Maudio not talking to each other properly (Maudio drivers fault apparently). Could I add a soundblaster audigy2 or something and use that in Showshifter for the line-in but use the Maudio for everything else? Is it likely to cause any problems at all?

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Whether they will "clash" depends on a couple of factors.

1) Which interrupts they use ; this may be fixable by either using or not BIOS or Windoze' Plug 'n Play enumeration , or manual IRQ assigment (BIOS or Windows Device Manager) .

2) This one ain't fixable : if both soundcards use the same or very similar WDM drivers then they cannot coexist.

I cannot put a Brooktree-based TV tuner card in my PC at the same time as my Twinhan satellite tuner card because the satellite card uses BT drivers based on the same core code.
    I can (and do) have a 2nd satellite tuner card in the PC bedause it uses totally different drivers.

So , to some extent, you may have to try it & see - unless someone else can be found with the same combination already to verify that it will work.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.