2 Sky HD boxes - multi-room questions.

nicklone86

Novice Member
Hello, I wondered if anyone could help me...:lease:

I recently moved back in with my parents after a relationship break-up and I've brought my SKY HD box home with me. Now, my parents already have a full HD subscription downstairs and I'm hoping to use the 2 free LNB sockets on thier dish to hook up my box in my bedroom. Here are my questions,

Firstly, my bedroom wall backs onto the dish and I'll need approx 5m x2 of LNB cable. Where can I get this if my dad doens't have any and roughly how much does it cost?

Secondly, If I simply plug the box into the dish and have no contact with Sky what can I expect?
Will I get FTA channels such as BBC 1-4, the ITV's, Channel 4 & 5 as well as Channel 4 HD & BBC HD? Also, I presume the answer will be no, but will I have any access to the recording fuctions of the box or does that need a valid card? (I head there was a £10 'recording' fee associated with Sky+ functionality and assume this applies to HD boxes).

Thirdly, if eveything is wired up by my dad and I what can I expect from sky by way of a multiroom subscription on his existing account? i.e. Will there be a joining fee, or a simple £9.75 a month multi-room contract with no 'installation' fee or any other form of downpayment. Will this be subject to a 12-month contract?

And finally, in addition to the multi-room subscription, I would very much like to use the HD box to it's full potential, where I'll be watching and recoring a lot of movies and documentaries in HD. Will I need to take out an extra HD subscription on top of the multi-room one at an extra cost of £9.75 pcm (total of £19.50pcm with multi-room)?

I know there are a lot of questions there but Sky's website is very low on information regarding self installs and I would rather get responses from people who've been through a similar experience. Thank you in advance for your help and guidence, it will be much appreciated.

Kind regards, Nick.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Firstly, my bedroom wall backs onto the dish and I'll need approx 5m x2 of LNB cable. Where can I get this if my dad doens't have any and roughly how much does it cost?
The cable you need is called CT100 and maplins have it , its very cheap , approx £30-40 for a 50 meter roll , Maplins will be happy to sell you 10 meters or so.

Satellite TV Cable FT100 > Maplin

You need F connectors to go onto the ends of the cable , no special tools required.
Twist-On F Plugs > Maplin

Secondly, If I simply plug the box into the dish and have no contact with Sky what can I expect?
Will I get FTA channels such as BBC 1-4, the ITV's, Channel 4 & 5 as well as Channel 4 HD & BBC HD? Also, I presume the answer will be no, but will I have any access to the recording fuctions of the box or does that need a valid card? (I head there was a £10 'recording' fee associated with Sky+ functionality and assume this applies to HD boxes).
You pretty much have it there , all you'll get is FTA channels , there is no recording without a subscription.

Multiroom is an extra fixed cost per month , Im not sure if there is a full sub charge for every extra box , I dont think so , as far as I know all premium channels go onto the main subscription and theres a multiroom charge for each extra box, but really the best people to talk to about that part is Sky.

loz

the cheapest option would be multiroom at £9.75 a month.
For this you would get all channels your Dad is subscribed to, and Sky+ recording functions.

The only thing you woudn't get is any subscription HD channels your dad has (e.g. Sky movies HD or Sky Sports HD). But you will get the SD versions. Unfortunately it is another £9.75 HD sub on top of multiroom to get those....

There is a 12 month contract for the multiroom, but it doesn't bind you into a new Sky contract. That is, if you decided to cancel sky entirely within that period, you can.

Sky won't charge any installs or anything.
Just get your dad to phone them up or do it online, get a card, or pair up the one you have already, and away you go.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom