1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 sky+ boxes

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rebel1, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody help please?

We have two sky+ boxes (one "normal" and one a new 160) linked to main TV and Philips VL1200 wireless TV link attached to one of the boxes so we can change channels in kitchen and bedroom. If we link both sky boxes to the tv link it changes channels on both boxes. Is there any way of sorting this?

We previously had an ordinary sky box and a sky+ and because the remotes were different there was no problem.

Thanks
    :lease:

2. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you have both boxes connected to the main TV?

Is it possible to separate the two boxes, maybe to each side of the tv? Just enough to point each remote at each box without both catching it...

If you can afford an extra £10 / month go for Sky MultiRoom. You won't have to pay for another box but I believe you will have to pay for installation because your not buying a box from them.... I think this is £65. You can then have the other box in the bedroom and keep the 160 connected to the main TV.

3. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garsmi, he cannot have another box as he is already using all the available outputs on the quad.
    Rebel, why not just relocate one of the boxes to one of the other TVs, As long as you have them close to each other the remotes will interact, the same IR receiver is used in both boxes.

4. Rebel1

Rebel1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying, but unfortunately it's not as simple as that!

We have several tvs round the house that are linked to main tv, so we can get both sky channels on all of them. We bought the wireless tv link so we could change channels, watch recordings etc in the kitchen and bedroom.

This was fine when we had two different types of sky with different remotes (one blue, one silver) as they work (apparently) on different frequencies and the blue one won't work the sky+ and vice versa, but now BOTH boxes are sky+ and we would like to be able to change both/either of the sky+ channels from the kitchen and bedroom.

It's probably not possible, but if you don't ask you'll never know.

Thanks for your help.

5. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried using one of these all in one remote controls? Probably won't work the Sky+ EPG..... Just a thought ?!

6. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fairly new to Sky+ and TV link myself so somebody will probably tell me if I'm talking nonsense but here goes anyway.

Firstly, I dont think it is possible to change the reception frequency of the Sky+, so your TV link and remote will change both boxes. However, have you tried connecting one of the RF outputs to RF out 1 as I dont think this will respond to the TV link (could anyone confirm this). Then at least you will be able to watch one Sky+ in the of the rooms whilst leaving the other alone to record etc.......probably.

Might be worth a try!

Wackojacko32

7. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My answer - NOPE! No matter what you do other than relocate one of the boxes and use the magic eye, I presume that is why you got the wireless kit in the first place, it won't work. Even if you bought two wireless kits from different manufacturers which operate on two different frequencies the infra red signal at the digibox end would be the same.

For Wackojacko32.....Unfortunately the wireless sender is connected via the scarts on the boxes to send out picture and sound. I presume they aren't using the RF magic eye method otherwise they wouldn't have invested in a wirless kit? Even if you did have a seperate cable connected to rf1 and another to rf2, because the boxes are situated together the magic eye connected to one box would still change channels on both boxes!