• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2 sky boxes with 1 magic eye

Pauldhome

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have a weird question for anyone who can help.

I have Sky multiroom (2 Sky boxes). I have sent the tv signal from both boxes to my televisions upstairs via the RF connection on the boxes. I also use a magic eye to control the boxes from the tv's upstairs.

I have both RF feeds going through a tee connector in the loft (ultimately sending them through one aerial wire), then into a booster, which then feeds to all the tv's upstairs. By changing the RF channels to different ones on each box, the two signals do not conflict. The magic eyes still work with this set up.

The problem i have is that the magic eyes now control both boxes as the same time, which is really a problem. I have tried turning of the 9V supply on the hidden menu of the sky box, but still the channels change. I wonder whether the booster provides a power supply to the magic eyes.

Are there any connectors i can put on the RF wire coming out one of the sky boxes to prevent the remote signal from activating on this box?

If someone could help i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Turning the RF power off has nothing to do with the Sky box's ability to respond to the remote control signals. The only way to solve your problem is to fit a device like the SPC4 combiner - Skylink satellite tv remote control magic eye extenders.

This will allow separate control of each box with its own programmed remote control upstairs. Each room upstairs with a magic eye would need two remotes or move them between rooms as required.

Pauldhome

Standard Member
Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

Welcome to the forum Pauldhome - edit your duplicated post down to one.

Pauldhome

Standard Member
Hi all,

Just another question.

Does the SPC4 combiner require a power supply?

The reason i ask is because i worry about electric in the loft. I have two plug sockets in the loft and currently i run 3 tv's from them and the signal booster. I really don't want to add any more electrical appliances up there.

Thanks

Paul

Pauldhome

Standard Member
Hi Neil,

It doesn't specify on the specification sheet?

I will try and do more digging on the internet to see what i can find out.

Thanks

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
I will try and do more digging on the internet to see what i can find out.

That's what I did and could find no mention of a power supply connector. I am sure other readers on here have used such a beast and can confirm, or otherwise.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
The reason i ask is because i worry about electric in the loft. I have two plug sockets in the loft and currently i run 3 tv's from them and the signal booster. I really don't want to add any more electrical appliances up there.

I doubt your TV's draw more than 1 amp each. Your distributor will draw virtually nothing. Assuming your power outlets are on the power ring main you will have no problem.

Pauldhome

Standard Member
Thank you both for your replies.

Neil. I have a double plug in the loft wired from the plug socket in my bedroom, thus off the upstairs ring main. I then use this extension plug to power booster and tv's.

Logiciel. Thanks for the pdf, but unfortunately it still does not indicate whether the combiner requires its own power source. The three tv's in our bedrooms are wall mounted and i have taken the power supply from the loft down through the stud wall.

Thanks again

Paul

logiciel

That's OK, and I'd have expected the pdf to mention it, and show it in the illustration and the diagram, if there was a connection for a power supply.

Pauldhome

Standard Member
Hi all and thanks for your advice.

I purchased the SPC4 combiner and wired it up. It works a treat, i can watch and control 2 sky boxes independantly on my upstairs tv. What a great piece of equipment.

No that is sort, i have another question.

If the SPC4 converts to different infrared signal for the individual signals, is there also a one-for-all remote that is compatible with the combiner signal?

I have a very old one-for-all remote, but i was unable to get it to control both boxes.

Can anyone recommend a remote compatible with the SPC4 combiner?

Thanks

Paul

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
It is highly unlikely that any preprogrammed universal remote would be compatable with the SPC4. The SPC4 relies on the ability of any Sky remote to access 4 modes of transmission for each of its 2 or 3 code tables (depending on model). A universal remote has only the need to use one of those modes. I would think your only hope is a "learning" remote.

logiciel

Most universals do "learning" and you'd have to use that for one of the alternative sets of commands.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Most universals do "learning" and you'd have to use that for one of the alternative sets of commands.

It is not an alternate set of commands - it is a different mode of transmission of the IR signal by the remote.

Pauldhome

Standard Member
When you say "learning" do you mean manually searching for the code rather than using the predefined codes for the remote? If so i tried this on the universal remote i had and it would still only control one of the boxes?

I wonder if there is a recommended remote that will specifically work with the SPC4 device?

Thanks for your help

Paul

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
When you say "learning" do you mean manually searching for the code rather than using the predefined codes for the remote? If so i tried this on the universal remote i had and it would still only control one of the boxes?

I wonder if there is a recommended remote that will specifically work with the SPC4 device?

Thanks for your help

Paul
No - I mean one that learns from the original remote.

moonbeam120

Prominent Member
It is highly unlikely that any preprogrammed universal remote would be compatable with the SPC4. The SPC4 relies on the ability of any Sky remote to access 4 modes of transmission for each of its 2 or 3 code tables (depending on model). A universal remote has only the need to use one of those modes. I would think your only hope is a "learning" remote.

@dave......... does this mean I can alter the remote transmission code to operate a single sky box in a 2 box setup?

moon.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member

logiciel

It is not an alternate set of commands - it is a different mode of transmission of the IR signal by the remote.
A set of commands is what Logitech would call it.
They're infrared commands and any Harmony can "learn" any infrared command.

does this mean I can alter the remote transmission code to operate a single sky box in a 2 box setup?
On a Harmony you can "learn" any commands that control any device.
It's often done for situations like this, and for devices that work in more than one zone.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom