• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2 samsung lcd's need some help to pick please

happyhero

Standard Member
Hi I am giving my PC to my mother and father who are about 80 but they now need sound and monitor to go with it. I selected them some cheap but decent enough speakers for about £30 ( they wont be listening to loads of music on it or anything) and a Samsung monitor, the T200 which seems to get good reviews on many sites and is a fairly good price. I can get the T200 from Dixons for just under £150 and the speakers I selected were £29 from Amazon, so a total of £180.

Trouble is I then noticed they do a model called the T200HD which looks to be the same model as the T200 but with freeview, and speakers built in. So I thought even better, the monitor they were getting but also a TV for only £20 more and speakers built in so cleaner look. So they were going to have the T200 and speakers for £180 but I can get this T200HD for about £199 which has everything.

Then I checked more carefully and noticed that the T200 had a contrast of 20000:1 whereas the T200HD had only 10000:1 and the T200 had a 2ms response rate whereas the T200HD had a 5ms response rate

from Samsung site

T200 LCD - monitors SAMSUNG

yet they seem to both come near top on the review, ie implying there is maybe no noticeable difference. I like quality and always shop for the best I can afford and my parents rely on me to do that for them, so I want the best possible one for them and now have doubts about the T200HD, will the difference be noticeable especially used as a monitor on the PC and are there any other differences?

I cannot understand why they did not make them identical but just add features, there's always something to spoil it.

Also some of the reviews they say the speakers are not that great, that would be a pity as it would be much tidier without speakers on view for them, and would suit my parents great who are not into loads of music on the pc.

Just to confuse the issue Amazon show the spec of both models as the same except that the T200HD has the extras, which is how I would like it to be and makes me think, "is there another model I missed" but I think it must just be that they have got it mixed up.

See here Find Computer Monitors - All LCD / CRT Computer Monitor Reviews at TestFreaks UK are some reviews and the the T220 (next size up ) gets a 10 and the T200HD gets 9.4.

So can anybody guide me here, will there be any noticeable difference, are there any other weaknesses to consider, is there a reason why the contrast is lower on the tv version and will this reduce its quality as a monitor? Has anyone got one or know about the sound, ie is it poor or quite acceptable. I know I am maybe being fussy but it would help me decide if someone could give their comments etc and tell me anything else that I may not have considered.
All info appreciated.

anobium

the T200 had a contrast of 20000:1 whereas the T200HD had only 10000:1

I cant believe the monitors have 20000:1 contrast ratio? typo?, maybe 1000:1?, wouldnt bother to much about the response rate unless your 80 year old parents will be playing counter strike online :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom