Question 2 routers and one Ssid is it possible ?

HenryJo

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Smart home setup with Google home mini and some Broadlink device controlling aircon/tv/stb and some sonoff devices controlling light garage doors and so on.

My problem is my router one can't always reach all the devices, I tried adding an extra old router with router one with a wired lan to lan port, pointing to router one in the second old router , disabled DHCP same code and Ssid on 2,4mhz different channel and ip above, but I always end up with 2 wireless Ssid on 2,4 ghz and my setup with Broadlink/sonoff devices only work with the one Ssid they were configured in the first place,

I can't move the router, så what are my options?

I have Asus RT-AC66U_b1 as router one and Asus RT-N56U as secondary.

Is there any possible configurations, so I would end up with only one Ssid and two routers on, so my Broadlink/Sonoff devices seen them as only one routers and connect to the one with the best signal ?

Or is the only Solution Linksys Velop Home Mesh or Google Wi-Fi mesh and will that work in this case ?

It can work as I use an old Linksys router (running DDWRT) which is set up as a Wireless Repeater Bridge and this allows the same SSID to be used. The n bought an old BT home hub but this does not have the repeater bridge option to just use it as a second wifi source

Well i got a old D-link dir-615 flashed with DDWRT lying somewhere so i could try ,
but I must end up with only one Ssid if this should work.
I got the option to name them the same Ssid i my setup now,but then i just then got 2 x Ssid with the exactly same name, and my devices still sticking to the one the are configured with, even when the signal is to week,
The ideal would be they jumped to the Ssid with the best signal and the appears as one Ssid.
But thanks for the advice i will try it :)

Hi,

I have the RT-AC68U which includes an AiMesh mode (See screenshot), not used it myself but if your ASUS Routers supports it, it should do what you're after.

Bob

ASUS AiMesh.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom