2-Room Conversion (Garage)

Seahorse

Novice Member
So, there's an extension to my garage, that is inside the house that we have never really used. The games room has all the crap from the day we moved in that we have never un-boxed or used, and the pool room really isn't big enough for the projector & seating.

This is the current floor plan:

This is where I want to end up, with raised seating at the rear:

The room is slightly wedge shaped, but after I edited this I realised the angled wall is the long one...

Issues include:

• Lights are in the wrong place
  • Second transformer for lights required after split
  • Sockets unavailable or wrong place
  • Games room is uninsulated (single walled) and loft is only partially insulated - really cold in winter.
  • Ceiling is stippled
  • 2M arch into the room from the main house needs converting to a single door.

This means lots of stud work, electrical work and insulation, most of which are beyond my abilities!

So, on with the studding, insulation and pulling wires...

Turning the double door into a single:

Studding, insulating and plasterboarding the bottom end, the platform is in place already, insulation going in one panel at a time:

Trunking & wiring drop:

The new door and the new storage area the voids either side of the entry door were also stuffed full of insulation:

Drainage pipe emerging through the wall & extra studding for the air conditioner:

Bottom end of the room getting there, extra studding for one rear surround:

The platform and extra studding for rear surround with Polish dude beavering away

Dado rail on and undercoat is on in the race to complete all the dirty work ahead of the carpeting:

Last edited:

Seahorse

Novice Member
more undercoat looking 'up' the room, cupboard door hung & painted, cables bundled and 6-sockets in place....

The first coat of paint, and finally a room not in a pastel shade, 12V lighting, the loft hatch gets painter after as it looked silly in cream:

A couple of days & several coats of paint later the lights are fitted fully and the rear speakers are in place. two sockets for the couch, one for the sub-woofer & 1 spare at the rear:

The projector bracket is fitted, the cables are pulled through and you can see the mounting plate for the aircon on the left wall. Oh, screen is up too:

Looking down the room. We have not fitted the blackout blinds to the window or door yet, way too much wet paint around the place:

The carpet was fitted up to the Dado rail at a height of 1M to deaden sound, hence no need to paint the bottom of the walls. I took some images with my phone while setting up sound etc. The suite weights a ton and is a dark blue leather, hence the room colour, you can see the sub too:

Running the sound setup, the aircon is now mounted on the left:

Looking back trying not to blind myself:

Last minute hoovering before the grand opening:

Last edited:

Seahorse

Novice Member
Some from the big camera, I still need to source a new rack/Blue-ray/DVD shelving and some pictures for the walls (dark ones):

Flash on:

No flash (looks more like this to my eyes in use, than the long exposure shot below):

Long exposure:

I meant to publish this lot as the build went on, but was so busy doing it I forgot to take that many photos let alone publish it. It's all in and works perfectly. It's main use is for blue-ray movies and Formula 1, although the Olympics also got some love, no I don't like football.

Supplies - £300 approx:

1 fusebox
2 new inverters for lights
5 rolls of insulation
3 sheets of 15mm 8x4 ply
15 sheets of 12mm plasterboard
3 bags of Easifil
200' 2"x4"
Assorted screws/tape etc.
Recycled the sockets & light switches for now.

Finish - £450:

The carpet is some £5 a yard cheapo stuff with a felt/foam back.
The walls are painted Sea Blue matt and the ceiling is a Crown paints matt in the Dramatic range with no colour marked on the tin - Dark Navy Blue I guess.

Kit:

106" Screen
Panasonic AE3000
Pair of floor standing Kefs & centre speaker.
Rear & side surrounds Eltax Monitor IIs
Sub Eltax
Virgin HD box
Panasonic BD35 Blue-ray
Onkyo 806
Samsung Aircon - self fitted, terrible instructions, but actually easy to do. £400 :cool:

Last edited:

Seahorse

Novice Member
Thanks, it has fast become a family favourite. Just need to sort a combined AV rack & DVD/Blue-ray shelving and some movie posters to finish it off. I will probably build the latter as IKEA want £500 for the most suitable one I can find.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Nice looking room and done on a low budget but still looks professional.I wonder why you have the pj on such a long drop mount though,the AE3000 has lens shift that would have enabled a near flush mount that would have looked nicer.

Seahorse

Novice Member
Finishing off with shelving, more shelving, a new unit. Just need to hoover up all the mess...

Test fitting, need to replace the temporary top shelf with another one cut to the right size (159 x 15 cm), but I ran out of timber!

Oh, and one of the canvas prints arrived :cool: while I was working:

It was at this point I realised I needed more shelving, even though I had measured twice...:mad:

Beauty shot before before finish off for the weekend:

Fast forward a week, the new top shelf cut, stained and installed, new shelves for Blue-ray's built, stained & installed and the new rack in place (yes I have not hoovered the mess up!)

With the screen down:

Last edited:

sibay

Novice Member
Looks great, I hope mine turns out as good! I like the carpet on the walls idea, good thinking :D

Question: How did you mount the screen? Is it hung from brackets? What fix did you get in the ceiling? I am trying to plan screen anchorage before plasterboard goes up but I dont know what size screen I will be able to buy until the walls are finished and I know the final room width!

Last edited:

Per156GTA

Very nice! - looks really well put together. Just a couple of things I would change - is it too late to take the AC off the wall and paint it black or blue to match your walls? Also your doors - as one of them is visible behind (under) the screen, it would give a far better image quality if the eyes aren't distracted by white elements in the room.

Great use of the space though - well done - you must be chuffed to monkeys with it :smashin:

Oh, and I have the same rack as you were using- the one with curved aluminium sections - used it in my kids TV room - not sure where I will use it now that I am moving!

Per

benjani

Banned
You need to get a ceiling bracket for the projector, you don't need it that low when you have lens shift.

Its the only thing that spoils the job. Buy a ceiling bracket and skip the one in place at the moment.

Other than that a great setup. :)

Seahorse

Novice Member
Looks great, I hope mine turns out as good! I like the carpet on the walls idea, good thinking :D

Question: How did you mount the screen? Is it hung from brackets? What fix did you get in the ceiling? I am trying to plan screen anchorage before plasterboard goes up but I dont know what size screen I will be able to buy until the walls are finished and I know the final room width!
I have L-shaped Brackets that have two 40mm screws each going in to the joist. Was simply a matter of measuring up beforehand.

Very nice! - looks really well put together. Just a couple of things I would change - is it too late to take the AC off the wall and paint it black or blue to match your walls? Also your doors - as one of them is visible behind (under) the screen, it would give a far better image quality if the eyes aren't distracted by white elements in the room.

Great use of the space though - well done - you must be chuffed to monkeys with it

Oh, and I have the same rack as you were using- the one with curved aluminium sections - used it in my kids TV room - not sure where I will use it now that I am moving!

Per
The AC unit is high on the wall an cannot be seen in the dark and is not in line of sight, so a non-issue with the colour.

We did talk about carpeting the door or painting it black, but we tested it and you can't see it when watching a movie (see this photo for an idea of what I mean).

I posted links to the last two images incorrectly :facepalm:, the new rack in Walnut brown (fixed them now) the old one will eventually be mis-employed or ditched I suspect.

Couldn't be happier to be honest I feel like a dog with two...(cough)...:arty:

You need to get a ceiling bracket for the projector, you don't need it that low when you have lens shift.

Its the only thing that spoils the job. Buy a ceiling bracket and skip the one in place at the moment.

Other than that a great setup. :)
Replacement ceiling bracket installed.

Last edited:

avcar

Very nice wish we could do it dark as your setup, however ours will be used as a living room also so needs to be lighter. Like the idea of the raised seating.

DrH

I do like what you have done with the room. With the dark colours it has that real look/feel of a cinema.

I like the idea with the disc storage, but do you have to lean over or use a ladder to reach the top shelf

shynsingh

Hi there

Lovely room. Love the tiered seating.:thumbsup:

Regards
ShynSingh

Seahorse

Novice Member
Hi Seahorse,

Lovely build! Its giving me great ideas! Can I ask where you got your canvas from?
I looked up some suitable large (8 mega-pixel) movie posters using Google image search - the advanced option allows you to search for size > and colours, black/blue in my case. I researched a bunch of sites offering it and did a test order of one to be sure using the Dark Knight as a guinea pig. It turned out great and looks even better in the wall than on my PC monitor. I then ordered the rest in two batches from My-Pictures who are actually in Germany but turn your orders around in a few days and are about half the price of the other ones I researched...:thumbsup:

Some films I love - Dredd & First Contact and some because they were just plain cool Pirates, Tron.

Last edited:

neoof86

Hi Seahorse,

Thanks! I will bear this all in mind. Currently just working on the main extension first! Did you run any data to this room or are you all wireless?

Seahorse

Novice Member
The AV end has two RJ45 connectors on the house network (1 Gig switch), it also has wifi coverage via a WAP for phones & tablets.

There are a row of 6 electrical sockets, twin network socket and the a double socket sized brush plate where the HDMI, VGA and speaker cables drop out behind the equipment cabinet, you can see them in the construction pictures. :zonked:

Last edited:

bealerDSB

Novice Member
Love the effort put in, you are certainly using the whole area...
Great budget too!

One thing I noticed nobody else has mentioned, is that when the screen is down it is hanging in front of your front speakers. I guess that you've conducted tests up and down and found no difference...

To me, it would deflect frequencies.

Also, I would pitch the front speakers inwards just a touch, I feel that you are losing sound travel when the audio fans away from the speaker ( opposing carpeted wall would absorb sound being so close ).

In closing, I'm sure it all sounds GREAT. Just a sterile perspective...is all.
Thanks for sharing the build :smashin:
DSB.

Seahorse

Novice Member
When we measure the space there was just enough clearance for speaks and screen, however straightening the walls between support pillars the gap reduced to the point where they overlapped. :(

My initial plan was to replace the front KEFs with shorter ones that would be beneath it, however when we tested the sound there was no detectable difference, so speakers stayed.

If, in the future I replace the speakers I would definitely buy ones that fit below as opposed to replacing the screen with a ventilated one to be sure.

As to the angling, again we tested that too (they were angled in the old house) and there appeared to be no difference to my ears.

I totally agree with your comments though and I was gutted when I realised the overlap was inevitable and I am certain if it were tested professionally there would be a difference and I'd be shopping for new shorter speakers :devil:

If money were no object I might have done the room differently, but I think the results are fantastic given the limitations in space/budget and last night while watching Star Trek ahead of next weeks trip to the cinema for the sequel I still had to pinch myself to confirm it's real and it's ours. :D

neoof86

Hi Seahorse!

Thanks for all your help! I only asked as I was not sure as I am one for pulling through an extra cable at the last moment! I also didnt want to assume data or HDMI over cat5

bealerDSB

Novice Member
Bet the F1 sounds great, forgot to mention that bit !!!
DSB.